Hi, i am a newcomer

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
abcdiff
Brand New Poster

Hi, i am a newcomer

Postby abcdiff » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:20 pm

sorry for deleting contents, i know it wont go away entirely but for legal purposes i am deleting what i can.
Last edited by abcdiff on Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Hi, i am a newcomer

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:18 pm

Hi abcdiff and welcome to the site. I'm sorry, you had to find us too. But we are here to offer support. Not sure there is legal recourse. Every state has different laws, but you could check with an attorney. I don't think there have been many cases tried and it would be hard to prove where you picked it up. As far as antibiotics is concerned, almost every one that I have taken warns of D caused by them. I'm not sure if CDI is specifically named. This may vary by state too. Not sure. Hopefully, the vanco has cured you. Be careful of future antibiotic use.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

I understand the anger we all feel when we get this difficult illness but if you have completed the Vanco and see improvement that is wonderful. Hopefully that will be it. As far as getting it again, it is possible with antibiotics and if you read under CDI we have a list of which one's are "bigger" offenders.

Unfortunately there are many doctors and nurses that see this illness as antibiotic induced, take the meds and move on. It can be far more difficult. If you take one round and have pushed through it and are recovering that is very good news. Hopefully things will improve.
If the diarrhea returns and symptoms are persistent, I always recommend returning to the GI who saw you. If you don't have a GI, get one if symptoms return.
As far as any legal action, we try to support through the illness here and really can't give advice. All of us have ended up here from this illness or a family member. We have people who have NOT been on antibiotics( community acquired).
I hope you will see improvement each day and are well on the road to recovery!

NanciT

abcdiff
Brand New Poster

Postby abcdiff » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:30 pm

sorry for the deletion
Last edited by abcdiff on Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:26 pm

From the FDA pack insert in Cipro.
Most people dont read it.

Diarrhoea may develop while you are taking
antibiotics including Ciprofloxacin, or even
several weeks after you have stopped taking
them. If it becomes severe or persistent or
you notice that your stool contains blood or
mucus, stop taking Ciprofloxacin immediately,
as this can be life-threatening. Do not take
medicines that stop or slow down bowel
movements and contact your doctor.

The in depth version.

Pseudomembranous Colitis: Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea (CDAD) has been
reported with use of nearly all antibacterial agents, including CIPRO, and may range in
severity from mild diarrhea to fatal colitis. Treatment with antibacterial agents alters the
normal flora of the colon leading to overgrowth of C. difficile.
C. difficile produces toxins A and B which contribute to the development of CDAD.
Hypertoxin producing strains of C. difficile cause increased morbidity and mortality, as these
infections can be refractory to antimicrobial therapy and may require colectomy. CDAD must
be considered in all patients who present with diarrhea following antibiotic use. Careful
medical history is necessary since CDAD has been reported to occur over two months after
the administration of antibacterial agents.
If CDAD is suspected or confirmed, ongoing antibiotic use not directed against C. difficile
may need to be discontinued. Appropriate fluid and electrolyte management, protein
supplementation, antibiotic treatment of C. difficile, and surgical evaluation should be
instituted as clinically indicated.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:51 pm

I have seen it in the past on the insert that accompanies the medication, but like you, doctors never told me specifically. I got c difficile from Cipro and it hit me about 6 weeks after I had stopped the medication.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:45 pm

It is in insert to several antibiotics now, when I was diagnosed in 2014 it was in a few. There is far more information now and thankfully I have seen a change in our local hospitals. Treatment has recently changed taking Flagyl out which was the first line of treatment. In my case it was a horrible drug, made me much sicker and unfortunately alot of people had a very hard time with it. We have seen changes on this site since my diagnosis and we have a great deal of information for anyone who is diagnosed with CDIFF.

I always recommend reviewing the insert to any medication with a pharmacist

NanciT

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:56 pm

Unfortunately, a lot of people are frightened by their doctors into taking the meds after they have a reaction to antibiotics, when the body might be able to handle the reaction on its own. That was the case with myself and at least one friend here. I had a so-called "community acquired" infection -- which is to say, we have no idea how I got it, but it wasn't antibiotics.

Often, GIs (or their nurses, in my case) will call with sparse info and just say "you have CDIFF, you need to take these antibiotics and bleach everything immediately, bye." Most of us will have had no idea what CDIFF even is! It's only natural that we'd panic at something like that and do as told. All I found on the internet was scary stuff until I wandered upon these forums, and now I go nowhere but here. People here are encouraging and believe everyone eventually gets well.

I try not to be angry or to dwell on the past. The days of the 'old me' still aren't far behind me, so thinking on memories of that is a pretty raw wound. I wish I hadn't taken the Vanco and had given my body a chance to fight, but hindsight is 20/20 and I know a lot more now than I did then. I can't blame this on an antibiotic, so I just try to focus on getting well and letting go.

abcdiff
Brand New Poster

Postby abcdiff » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:17 pm

sorry for the deletion i dont think you can delete my presence entirely but i would like that.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:11 pm

Your information is confidential and you are only known and viewed by the public name you have chosen.
You will remain anonymous.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”