Potential chest infection

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Sez123**
Regular User

Potential chest infection

Postby Sez123** » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:18 am

Hi all
I’m sick with a chest infection. Hoping it’s viral but I do occasionally cough up yellow phlegm. Is this a sign it’s turning bacterial ??

I certainly feel bit better than the original onset but being asthmatic it always flares up my chest

Question is I’ve beeb prescribed Roxythromycin in case I get worse. In the c diff world how does this antibiotic rank ?? (I know no Anti is safe )

I eat a lot of homemade sauerkraut and yoghurt will that be enough to avoid c diff ???

I’m so so stressed abt taking antis

Thanks in advance

Sez123**
Regular User

Re: Potential chest infection

Postby Sez123** » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:26 am

I should add initial c diff was in nov.
had to take antis in feb (keflex) again didn’t have a relapse. Been ok and on a high guy health diet.

C diff was caused by a cocktail of diff antibiotics given in 4 months for various reasons
But once c diff is activated I think it wouldn’t take much to trigger it again

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:18 am

I would do a sputum culture first to make sure that the infection is bacterial and not viral. You can get lot's of yellow and green phlegm from a virus , belive me . If you really need the antibiotic , make sure is a lower offender and also increase your probiotic intake until you are out of the red zone.

Sez123**
Regular User

Postby Sez123** » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:59 am

What time frame is considered the red zone post an antibiotic??

Yes I’ll ask them for a culture. Don’t know if they’ll oblige they’re very lax here in Australia

Georgina do you know if Roxithromycin is a low offender??

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:41 am

Never heard of Roxithromycin until i read your post so i can't answer your question.
The "red zone" time frame as i call it is in the first month after the antibiotic (some say it's up to 12 weeks), after that the chances to have a reoccurence are droping significantly.

Sez123**
Regular User

Postby Sez123** » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:48 am

It’s a derivative of erythromycin which is a macrolide. Usually given for chest infections. I’m still hoping I don’t need it. Fingers crossed. I’m travelling soon. Last thing I need is c diff issues in a foreign country

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Mycins are lesser risk but any should of course be avoided if possible. I would take Florastor twice per day for a while.
Check the list in the CDI section of this site for the antibiotic risk status of all antibiotics and you can even print it out and show it to your dr.
If you ever absolutely need any, you should have a c&s done first to make sure the infection is bacterial and the med prescribed it is one that will work.

Rita

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”