Should I get checked out again? Or wait and see?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
JStaff21
Brand New Poster

Should I get checked out again? Or wait and see?

Postby JStaff21 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:57 pm

Hello all. I am new to the board and new to c diff. I tested positive for it in July of this year. I had a very mild case of it, it appears. I never had a fever or vomiting. WD or loose stool around 6 times a day and cramping and nausea. I took a round of Flagyl and had no problems other than some nausea. I went about 12 days with no issues whatsoever following my medication. For about the past week I have been experiencing mild nausea and cramping. Stools are solid and only going 1-2 times every other day. The cramping feels just like it did when I had c diff, but no other symptoms are there. I know it could be post IBS and I've thought about going to the doctor for a post check up, but I am nervous they'll test me and I'll be positive and they'll try to start me on antibiotics again. Should I just hold off and see if it gets worse or go get checked out? Thanks!

roy
Administrator

Re: Should I get checked out again? Or wait and see?

Postby roy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:11 pm

If WD returns you should see your Dr but what you describe sounds like recovery.
Theres a high chance of testing positive but treating if your stool is formed might make it worse.
That's why they dont test solid stool!
Flagyl is no longer advised as a treatment for c.diff.
It DOES kill c.diff just as efficiantly as Vanco but because it also kills a lot of good flora theres a higher relapse rate.
It sounds like it's worked for you but if WD returns you should be treated with vanco (or better still dificid)

JStaff21
Brand New Poster

Postby JStaff21 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks for the reply Roy. I’ve been reading these boards since July and it’s been very helpful. If the WD returned I was planning on asking for Dificid. I’m praying it’s gone and my pains are related to recovering from the c diff.

Is it possible the probiotics I’m taking could be contributing to my abdomen pain? I’ve been drinking Keifer daily and taking probiotic gummies daily.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Were you used to the Kefir before cdiff? It could upset your stomach. You might try scaling back to see if things improve (depending on how much you are drinking daily). I do better with water kefir over the milk kefir. I also seem to respond well to Florastor. Hopefully you are just in recovery and you’ll see slow improvements in the days/weeks to come!

JStaff21
Brand New Poster

Postby JStaff21 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:00 pm

I rarely drank kefir prior to having c diff. I have scaled back on it a bit this week. I wasn’t even aware they had kefir water. I’ll have to look into that.

I’ve just been having abdominal pain this week that seems to be getting worse. I’m not having any other symptoms though. Just has me worried about it. I have read how recovery can be rough too though. Just hoping for the best. Thanks Ajs.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Kefir water is made yourself from kefir grains that you can purchase. I got mine from eBay. It’s something you have to maintain. Lots of info on it online

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:48 pm

Probiotics can give GI upset. I do not tolerate many kinds. Had to try various to find one I did.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”