antibiotics for pets, family and friends

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

antibiotics for pets, family and friends

Postby AnxiousJ » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:20 pm

This may be a really silly question but I just want to make sure I correctly understand. I am two years post infection and tested negative 5 separate times. When I was sick I read that I should stay away from people who are taking antibiotics. Now that it is two years later and I am better is this no longer a concern? I tried my best to stay away from my husband last year when he was on Augmentin and my son last year when he took Amoxicillin. My friend is fostering some kittens who are currently on antibiotics and I did hold them. Am I a risk to people or animals who are on antibiotics? I washed my hands well before and after.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: antibiotics for pets, family and friends

Postby AllisS » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:28 pm

I don't know where you read that information, but it's incorrect. There's no risk whatsoever to being around people (or animals) who are taking antibiotics. The only potential sliver of truth, this based on an article that I recently read, is that, if you're hospitalized and are sharing a room with another patient who is receiving antibiotics, it's possibly a risk factor for C. diff. I don't think there's a strong body of evidence backing up even that theory, however. In any event, it's never advisable to share a hospital room if it can be avoided.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Thanks, AllisS! I'm glad to hear that. It may have been the same article but I read it when I was ill two years ago and just assumed that meant forever. So glad to hear that!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:46 pm

If someone comes into contact with your D when you have active c.diff they MIGHT pick up c.diff spores.
But we all pick them up many times from many sources very often.
A recent test showed that 1 in 4 pairs of shoes had c.diff on them.
Your not contagious so stop stressing.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks, Roy!!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”