It's been a while...I'm Scared.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Tracy430
Regular Contributor

It's been a while...I'm Scared.

Postby Tracy430 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've posted. I've had a couple of C-Diff scares in the past that were thankfully false alarms. You have all been so helpful and perhaps I'm freaking out for nothing, but here goes...

I have a history of recurrent UTIs. In 3 months I had two, one treated with Amoxicillin and the other with Cipro (this one may have been a lab error and unnecessarily treated). I loaded myself up on Jarrow Saccharomyces Boulardii four times a day, plus two other probiotics for bladder health and Kefir 2-3 times a day between the antibiotics. Nothing caused the dreaded "D" word.

Then I was diagnosed with mild diverticulitis and treated with Augmentin because they didn't want to give me Cipro again. Sheesh, I know it sounds bad. Let me say, that I was given the most contradictory recommendations for diverticulitis that I'd ever heard. They usually recommend a clear liquid diet for a few days. This time, they said "low residue". I tried that and it seemed like the pain was taking longer to resolve than in the past. So, during the last couple of days, I started a mostly liquid diet, noodle soup, water, kefir, mashed potatoes, eggs. The abdominal pain resolved within a day. I was still overloading myself with probiotics and hoping for the best. Well, the Augmentin did cause mild "D" which was not unexpected, but at the end of the course, things began to improve...until this morning. I had a couple of formed BMs and then I got a bout of the dreaded "D!" I almost didn't make it to the bathroom! Needless to say, I panicked! I still am! No cramps, no unusual "aroma", none of the nastiness that one might expect, just some gurgling.

Perhaps I'm panicking over nothing. But, the frequent infections, antibiotics, and fear of C-Diff have my anxiety level at an all-time high. To make matters worse, we just relocated to NC and I'm seeing a new Gastro. When I followed up after my ER visit, the Nurse Practitioner looked at me and said, "You need surgery", even before her butt hit the chair, which is also contrary to the latest research in the treatment of uncomplicated diverticulitis. I'm hoping the what I've been reading about probiotics preventing C-Diff is correct. Right now, I'm just really frightened.

Blessings,

Tracy

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: It's been a while...I'm Scared.

Postby AllisS » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Sounds like it's a little too soon to assume a recurrence of C. diff. Instead try to focus on ways to reduce your anxiety. As for probiotics, "overload" is an apt term for what you're doing. You're taking way too many. Probiotics themselves can cause GI symptoms, including the dreaded "D." There is currently no strong body of evidence that probiotics prevent C. diff. Many people find them helpful, but anecdotal accounts aren't the same as scientific data. It's theorized that they have a beneficial effect; however, the best type(s) to take, and in what doses, are still unknown; it's pure guess.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Tracy430
Regular Contributor

Postby Tracy430 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:00 am

Hi Allie,

While I agree I may be panicking prematurely, as you know, once you have been diagnosed, every antibiotic episode is an effort in combating the anxiety that comes along with it. Multiple high offenders in such a short period of time are anxiety provoking in and of itself because of all the nasty side effects besides the possibility of recurrence. I keep up on the latest data and I thought there was research indicating that the use of probiotics reduced the incidence of contracting C-Diff by 64% and that Saccharomyces Boulardii was found to be beneficial.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 130004.htm

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:03 am

Yes, Florastor (brandname for S. boulardi) is, I believe, the one probiotic that has some convincing studies pointing to its benefits in hospitalized patients, which is what the article that you cite also says. It was recommended to me as well, when I had hip replacment in the fall of 2016; I took two Florastor/day for several weeks. The benefits of probiotics in daily (non-hospital) life are still lacking in robust evidence.

I do understand the anxiety. I suffer from it myself.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:14 pm

A study I recently read suggested probiotics be classed as a drug.
It showed that overuse in an attempt to support the colon was causing SIBO in some people and they ended up having to take antibiotics to cure the side effects of the probiotics!
The side effects reported were Bloating and brain fog.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Roy, do you happen to have a link to that study?

Tracy430
Regular Contributor

Postby Tracy430 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:15 am

Hi Roy,

So, are they still recommended while taking antibiotics or should you just not overdo it?

Thanks!

Tracy

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:41 am

One thing I found during my CDIFF illness is that the Vanco I took for a total of 3 1/2 months irritated the bladder, I felt like I had a UTI AFTER taking the Vanco for a very long time.
I saw a Urologist and he started me on D Mannose which is a supplement, it helped a great deal.
I still ended up with 2 UTI's Post CDIFF but he cultured each time and if it was under 50,000 colonies he did not treat. One was over and I took Keflex which thankfully worked and did not cause a relapse. I was about 6 months post CDIFF at the time
I still take D Mannose everyday, it has been mentioned often here on the site

Hope things have improved

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”