Advice on what is normal in healing

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
mpc
Brand New Poster

Advice on what is normal in healing

Postby mpc » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:22 pm

Surgery for melanoma on my ankle and margins all clear. I’m 61 years old and otherwise healthy. I got an infection and put on Keflex for 10 days @ 500 mg 3 x day and received an IV in hospital. Contracted C Diff and now on Metronidazole 3 x day for 14 days. I am on day 6 and stools are still so lose. I’m eating the BRAT diet but find I’m so nauseous that eating is a chore. I’m drinking water and electrolytes as I was dehydrated and had to go to urgent care to get liquids/sodium.
I’m trying to suppprt myself with probiotics, Vit C. D, Milk thistle for liver. I’m not sure if I should add florastor or what has everyone else found useful. I’m concerned Flagyl antibiotic is not as effective as the more expensive
Dificid but Kaiser Permanente only had two options and prescribed this one. Side effects seem to be the typical metal taste and nausea but I’m not sure if it’s actially working. My bowels are still lose. Any advice welcome. I’m so scared.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Advice on what is normal in healing

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:26 am

Flagyl is no longer the 1st Choice for CDI. If you feel it is not working, ask for vancomycin. Sometimes people will have loose stills regardless. What dose are you on at 3 x per day?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:04 am

It seems like Flagyl is not doing anything other then making you worse . Do push for the main treatment witch is either Vanco or Dificid ( a much better option). Also careful with the amount of Vit C you take , high doses of Vit C can create more gut dirturbance.
Why don't you give the Florator a try , maybe it will help bulk up the stool.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:38 am

Sorry you are going through this!! My understanding was Kaiser DID have both Vanco and DIficid available. If that is the case, call your GI and ask for Dificid. If that is not available, go with Vanco.
We have posted the new guidelines on the site, print out if necessary and take to your GI or email. Flagyl is OFF the list as first line of treatment....finally. I would make it CLEAR the Flagyl is NOT working, they must move forward with one of these meds
As far as nausea, all these meds caused me nausea, Flagyl was the worst for me and I could only tolerate it a few days. I used "Sea Bands" which you can get at any drug store, they helped me for a very long time and I still use them on and off

Wishing you the best
NanciT

mpc
Brand New Poster

Postby mpc » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:07 pm

Thank you everyone. I ended up back in urgent care with dehydration and they switched me to liquid form of form of Firvanq/ for 10 days 4 x day. They concurred Flagyl failed! I’m feeling more hopeful. I’ve added probiotics and will add florastor. I can’t seem to get my sodium levels up so continue to drink electrolytes and sodium rich foods to monitor. I asked for DIFICID but it was out of stock:( I’m losing so much weight.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:15 pm

Firvanq is the latest in liquid vanco.
It's exactly the same as the liquid made up with the IV powder but because it's been given a name it's more expensive.
Typical drug companies making a profit out of "customers".

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”