Short Vanco Taper

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ajs
Regular Contributor

Short Vanco Taper

Postby Ajs » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:33 pm

I thought I would give an update on my Vanco taper that was shortened to end 2 days before my FMT. It was 7 days 4 times per day, 7 days 2 times per day, and 7 days 1 time per day.

I’m a little over halfway on my dose of 2 times per day. So far my D has completely gone. I’m going around twice per day. Still catching a hint of the cdiff smell, but it’s faint. I feel happy with the bathroom improvements. However, the fatigue and tiredness have been unbelievable! Rest doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. Also, I’ve had a tightness in my chest. Probably asthma. Constantly clearing my throat which does produce some mucous. I only mention this because I’m wondering if it could also be cdiff related. Before all of this I was an avid runner. Could breathe in so deep. I haven’t felt like that in a long time now. Also, hip and back pain have been noticeably worse.

I’m also still feeling a dull, burning sensation in my lower right side, although it is better since I started the latest Vanco treatment. Hopefully that’s a good indicator that it’s also just inflammation from the cdiff. Hopefully the colonoscopy will shed some light. I’ve not had any scans yet. We are quickly running out of money. Another common cdiff symptom unfortunately.

roy
Administrator

Re: Short Vanco Taper

Postby roy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:26 pm

To be honest I would be wondering if I needed the FMT.
I would be discussing if a longer taper might be enough to clear it with my Dr.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:51 pm

He wants to do the colonoscopy anyway. Is there a risk with the FMT? I was really concerned with having a colonoscopy so soon, but thought the FMT would make it more worth while. Plus I have been on so many antibiotics even prior to cdiff, I thought the FMT would be a good way to put my gut back on track. I really do value your opinion, so please let me know if there’s any reason health wise that I should wait about FMT. I have taken rounds of Vanco, Flagyl, and Dificid already. My last relapse was 4 weeks out from Dificid. Again, thanks for your knowledge and advice.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:36 pm

If your symptoms have been "minor" throughout your brush with c.diff and you jump on treatment because of test results it can result in overtreatment, and its side effects of a stressed GI system.
Drs only respond to what you tell them and often feel obliged to "do something"
FMT seems safe but is considered experimental, nobody 100% knows the risks.
You have to sign away your rights to sue if it goes wrong.
It is the best chance of cure for true relapsing c.diff though.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:41 pm

Thanks Roy. My symptoms did start out minor back in May when I first tested positive. I knew NOTHING about cdiff at the time. Loose stool but no D. I did have some horrible symptoms other than the D. Also did have some B and M. But if I knew then what I know now, I would have insisted on waiting about treatment. I actually did ask the doctor and he said I definitely needed to take the treatment. Nothing I can do about that now unfortunately. This last relapse was very text book. By the 3rd day of the Vanco taper I saw improvement. I do want my best chance of kicking this cdiff and avoiding more rounds of antibiotics. It’s a hard decision to make though. I appreciate your input

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:55 pm

Do I understand correctly that you have only had c diff for just over 2 months and are having a FMT already? And a colonoscopy now? If I am incorrect I apologize but if not, have you thought about getting a second opinion?

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:41 pm

Yeah that’s pretty much correct. I had on and off symptoms from as long as February. I didn’t get tested until late April. That is when I started treatment. The beginning of May. Within a day or so after each round my symptoms would worsen. I finally took Dificid and made big improvements over the course of 4 weeks. Out of the blue I had horrible symptoms resembling the flu. Then three days later started the WD again accompanied by abdominal pain and cramping. After 3 days of more than 3 WD I was tested and it came back positive. This is when the GI decided to move forward with the colonoscopy and FMT. I’ve had a persistent dull burning sensation in my lower rt side and he wants to check that out. Plus I’m due to be checked for polyps because of family history. He sent me to an ID doctor for continued antibiotic treatment leading up to the FMT. So is this too early for an FMT? I’ve been very open to it since it has such a high cure rate.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:38 am

Wow , getting the FMT after two relapses is great! Where i live i had to wait until i was at my 6-th relapse to get it.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:50 am

I did feel really blessed to have the opportunity so quickly. I just hope it doesn’t cause any problems. The GI first said after 3 positive tests, but after learning of all the other antibiotics I had been on prior to cdiff he decided to do it sooner.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:45 pm

Georgina, are you feeling any better since your last FMT?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Ajs - I think all the vanco I took was why I kept relapsing. The FMT is what helped me the most. I think your GI is making the right decision here to give you one, especially if you have to do the colonoscopy anyway. You don't want to chance the laxative prep washing away your good flora and starting everything over again. I would follow his advice.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:38 pm

Thank you Beth22. The last couple days have been rough. Bathroom visits have been ok. I honestly feel like I’m having a rough time with the Vanco. Fatigue and weakness have been horrible! I’ve been on some sort of antibiotic continually since February. I’m just ready for my body to have a break. I was feeling so much better after I came off of Dificid. Energy levels slowly improved. Then the relapse. It was like starting all over. I’m really struggling with depression this go around. I still feel like the FMT may be a good thing for me. On top of eradicating the cdiff, I have hopes that it will help me restore my gut from 6 months of antibiotics. And Georgina, I hope you are feeling better!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:28 am

When are you having the colonoscopy and FMT?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:00 am

Hope the FMT will be your magic bullet . I was very weak after my Vanco course and FMT , really low stamina , felt like i was hit by a train ,so i had to take B12 shots and the energy level kinda' improved. Although my stool is anywhere near normal , i'm having a better day today.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:32 am

The colonoscopy and FMT is set for Aug 23. I start my 7 days at 1 pill per day tomorrow. So far the d has remained gone. I hope 1 pill is enough to keep it gone. The Vanco will end 2 days before the procedure.

Georgina, I’m glad to hear that you’re doing a little better.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”