Short Vanco Taper

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
roy
Administrator

Re: Short Vanco Taper

Postby roy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:05 am

Its an interesting treatment plan.
The theory behind tapering is that as the vanco is reduced it allows the good gut flora to recover and defeat any remaining c.diff.
The theory about FMT is to destroy as much c.diff as possible with high dose vanco then introduce the new flora so that it can grow and finish the "cure"
The colonoscopy prep will expel the good flora that returned during the taper, BUT then they replace it with the FMT.
Either way you should end up much better off.
The prep is the worst part.
Stay close to the bathroom that day!

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Re: Short Vanco Taper

Postby Ajs » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Thanks Roy. I sure hope this does it for me. Hopefully the lower dose of Vanco has at least allowed me to avoid some of the side affects while awaiting the FMT. My entire treatment of all this has not really been ideal. There have been too many different doctors Involved. Plus you don’t see them more than five minutes at a time, and they are so quick just to prescribe something. Fortunately, so far I still remain having formed stools. Going 2-3 times a day. I sure hope that’s more evidence that this is going to be it!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”