Hypochondria acting up

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
andres
New User

Hypochondria acting up

Postby andres » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:07 am

Hey everyone,

So I think C-DIFF's worst symptom was turning me into a full blown hypochondriac, while i'm a bit over two weeks past treatment, with very promising signs of recovery given that I haven't had D in a while, and no other such symptoms other than this stupid white tongue. I have had this when my c diff was at it's worst before treatment, It has died down a slight bit after properly taking care of my oral hygiene, but it still persists and i now noticed a little singular bubble on one of my tonsils.

Stupidly, I started googling these symptoms, and my constant results point towards *gasp* oral, throat, well any and all of the cancers. Granted I don't have most of the other symptoms, that doesn't take away much of the nervousness when I read it can be HPV-related and mostly everyone get's HPV at some point. I do think it really is just my head playing with me (last week I was sure I had testicular or colon cancer) because if I had everything I suspected, my head would probably fall off. The only thing that I genuinely know that I had is C. DIFF, and since this is the first real instance of a sickness in all my 21 years, now my mind suddenly thinks I have everything under the sun.

I'm sure alot of people can relate to my anxieties just looking for some kind words and support <3

Amanda
New User

Re: Hypochondria acting up

Postby Amanda » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:18 am

Hi Andres
You most likely have oral thrush because of the antibiotics. I had the same. I treated with coconut oil and salt water. Rinsed with coconut oil right after waking up, then rubbing/brushing my tongue (don’t swallow!) and doing the same before bed with warm salt water. The Candida yeast that causes the thrush is killed by the caprylic acid in the coconut oil, and the salty environment is not good for its permanence in your mouth. I did that everyday after I stopped Flagyl, and my tongue went back to normal in 10 days or so.
As for the hypochondria, it is probably because of the anxiety that this illness causes. You are so young, I’m pretty sure your only issue is the c diff, and that will be gone soon! Hang in there!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:03 am

I was prescribed Fluconazole for thrush during my C. diff treatment, which cleared it up. I'd ask your doctor to call it in to your pharmacy. I wouldn't mess around with the coconut-oil home remedy even though it may have seemed to work for the other poster. The last thing you need during your recovery is an advanced case of thrush; the longer it persists, the harder it may be to eradicate.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:08 am

My mother got oral thrush from the antibiotics she took for c difficile too and she treated with an anti-fungal. She had one that she just needed to rinse her mouth with called Nystatin and then swallow. But, she also took Fluconazole that Allison mentioned and it worked well for her and she did not relapse with c difficile from either medication. Flucanazole is systemic, while Nystatin stays in the GI tract. I would call your doctor and ask about treating. There is also a lozenge called Mycelex.

andres
New User

Postby andres » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:14 am

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I forgot to mention that I am on Nystatain, I'm two days out and some of my frustration is coming from the fact that I haven't seen much progress. But your words are really comforting, and greatly appreciated!

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:03 am

It's basically a given that Dr. Google will diagnose you with cancer. Thumb hurts? Thumb cancer. Itchy foot? Foot cancer.

In seriousness, try to avoid the temptation of Googling symptoms. I stopped searching about health issues quite a long time ago, and it was much for the best. The exception was for CDIFF, and that was only because the GI's nurse gave us a quick call and basically told us nothing. I found this board and do not go anywhere else on the internet to read about CDIFF, appreciating the fact that people here don't think (with experience to back up their opinion) you're doomed to a horrible life. Lots of communities out there are just scare fests!

I've never had thrush, but maybe it just needs a bit more time? Two days doesn't seem like very long.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:06 am

I took Nystatin and it takes a few days to work. Are you on the pills or the swish and swallow liquid? Diflucan is stronger and works faster, but Nystatin has fewer side effects associated with it. They even give it to babies. You have to give it a week or so. I think my Rx was for 7 or 10 days.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”