Upcoming dental procedure - scared

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Amanda
New User

Upcoming dental procedure - scared

Postby Amanda » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:58 pm

Hi all
I’m 2 weeks after finishing my first round of Flagyl and recovering reasonably well. I have a tooth extraction scheduled in 20 days, and it cannot be postponed because the tooth is already bothering me. I’ve been discussing options of antibiotics with the dentist as clindamycin cannot be used. I believe the options will be between Z-Pack and Flagyl. Has anyone had to take antibiotics for dental procedures so soon during recovery? What is your experience? Needless to say, I’m already panicking.
The dentist offers sedation with Valium (only one dose). Does anyone know if Valium can cause relapse??
Thanks for sharing your experience and for this great support forum!

Kuro
Contributor

Re: Upcoming dental procedure - scared

Postby Kuro » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:16 pm

The last time I had a tooth extracted was probably 2016-2017, before CDI, and I did not have to take any antibiotic. Is it necessary that you take it, or just a precaution? Salt water rinses were all that I used, and it was my last wisdom tooth, so a deep one.

I want to say that Valium does not cause relapse, because I take it for every day due to longstanding anxiety problems and have since well before CDI came into my life. It doesn't seem to have caused a relapse for me, so I would doubt one dose for sedation would. I'm not a doctor, though.

Glad to hear that you are doing well so far otherwise!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:24 pm

I have had alot of dental work during my time with CDIFF, it seems to have caused alot of dental issues for me including 2 extractions. I did not take any antibiotics, even recently with oral surgery and it required a bone graft. All went well. I would talk with your dentist or oral surgeon. One thing I did a few times was use a rinse called Peridox which is an antibacterial.
I had CDIFF over a year with 5 relapses, in my case I could not risk getting it back after taking so long to get rid of it.

Talk with your dentist again to see if it's 100% necessary

Wishing you the best

NanciT

Amanda
New User

Postby Amanda » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:34 pm

Thank you Kuro and NanciT for your replies and info. I will definitely talk to my dentist about it. It would bring me great peace of mind if I don’t need to use more drugs. Will keep you posted!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:05 am

As for Valium, it would not cause a relapse.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:31 am

Most dental procedures do not require antibiotics.
Even if your dentist insists (some US dentists are "antibiotic happy") it up to you if you take them.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:01 pm

My daughter had wisdom teeth removed and did not take antibiotics and my husband even had an infected tooth removed and did not need them. He was given a mouth rinse by RX called Peridex to rinse with and he did fine. The dentist cleaned the area out after he removed the tooth and the rinse was all that was needed. I think dentists give antibiotics for extractions as a precaution, but obviously not all of them. Talk to yours and ask why you would need one.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:06 pm

I've had many teeth extracted without having to use antibiotics. In fact... too many!

Unfortunately, during 2017 I had a jaw infection and I was given Clindamycin, which got rid of the infection. Shortly thereafter I was introduced into the "wonderful" world of C-diff (ugh).

Regards, best of luck with your extraction, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Even if a tooth is infected an antibiotic is not always the best route.
Oral antibiotics are carried in the blood stream to an infected site.
Theres little blood supply to bone in our gums and NO blood supply to tooth roots.
When my dentist done my root canals he used a chemical to flush out the infection and said antibiotics are useless.
If you have a "fat face" they are needed but are too risky to be of use "just in case".

Amanda
New User

Postby Amanda » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Thank you all for the posts, they are really helpful. I will definitely talk to the dentist to have it done without any antibiotics. But I will go with Valium just to turn off during the procedure.
Thanks again.

Amanda
New User

Postby Amanda » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:43 pm

So the day of the tooth extraction arrived. I’m doing very well after my first round of Flagyl, which I finished 11 weeks ago. But today I had to start Z-pack to extract the tooth. Because of the nature and extent of my tooth problem, the dentist strongly recommended me to take the antibiotic to avoid infection. He had to clean up the bone and open more gum than in normal procedures. I had a tooth resorption that affected the bone. It’s been 3 hours since the procedure, the anhestesia is gone, I had 2x500mg Tylenol and I don’t want to take Ibuprofen because I’ve found at least one reference that shows correlation between the use of NSAIDs and c diff. I’m in a lot of pain, and I know that Ibuprofen would help reducing it a lot. So here is my question: is anyone in this forum knowledgeable on the relationship between NSAIDs and c diff to challenge or to support the article in this link: https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/hand ... sequence=1
Thanks for any help!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:05 pm

Amanda
New User

Postby Amanda » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:20 pm

Thanks Roy. So the article you posted found no correlation between Ibuprofen and c diff, and explains the divergence from the other study. It appears to make sense, although I’m not from the medical field. The pain has decreased a bit, But if it gets worse (which is likely) I will take an Advil. Thanks again, Roy.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:47 pm

I take Advil liquid Gel caps nearly everyday instead of taking a stronger anti inflammatory for joint pain. I have not had any issues. I have not heard of any correlation between CDIFF and these medications.

Hope your recovery goes well

NanciT

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:56 pm

I work with pediatric orthopedic spine surgeons and they tell their patients to avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs after surgery because these drugs have been shown to interfere with proper bone healing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28007462

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”