NEW FOODS

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lila30
Contributor

NEW FOODS

Postby lila30 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Hey all

So this past Wednesday marked 1 month since I've been off of vanco treatment. I just wanted to know when (how long after treatment) did others start trying to add new foods to their diet. I tried adding a grilled chicken sandwhich from chick fil a (they are marinated) to my diet a week and a half ago but my stomach got upset a couple hours later. I haven't tried anything new since. I'm just nervous to try anything new cause I hate that sick feeling in the stomach. I've just been on chicken, white rice, bananas, and bread since mid June.

roy
Administrator

Re: NEW FOODS

Postby roy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:55 pm

When you add something it's best to have just a mouthfull!
Not a whole sandwich!
Think of what healthy food you would give to a 2yo child and that's what you should try to start with.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:26 pm

I added foods slowly, one thing at a time and a SMALL amount. I try a few bites of a new food, if I have no issues I will then try an average portion.

It can take time, I know it sounds like a slow process but honestly it's the best way to go

Give it time

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:40 pm

I just took a few bites at first too. I thought it important to try cooked vegetables. I puréed them at first or made them in soup and puréed that. Baked potato is pretty easy to digest too.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:40 pm

You can try a hard boiled egg one day , next day you can try a baked potato , after that you can also try some peanut butter with your toast ,grilled zuchinnies with grilled chicken , white fish , boiled green beans.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:47 pm

Thank you all for the replies =)

Roy- I have been trying small portions. I had maybe 2 bites and then threw the rest of the sandwich away and that's when a couple hours later I felt sick. I tried the sandwich again this past Monday, I only had one bite. I felt fine afterwards. So I guess like you said just a mouth full. This afternoon wasn't so good for me, I felt so nauseated. I guess it's just still healing process.

NanciT- Thank you for the advice! I'm definitely going to take it slow. I'm sorry tired of the bland diet though. =(
I have been noticing Mucus in my stool. Today is day two of it. So that was a bit concerning for me. I read on here that mucus in the stool can just be that my intestines aren't healed yet?.. I don't know.

Beth- I'm so nervous to try even one vegetable even cooked lol. I still have alot of gases so I don't want to upset my stomach. Maybe in a couple more weeks I'll try it =)

Georgina- Thank you, I'll definitely try new things slowly and in smaller portions.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:13 am

Mucus indicates that the gut is irritated , is more of a IBS sign and not a relapse sign. Have you tried baked potato?

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:35 am

Georgina- I guess that would make since, as I'm slowly introducing new foods to my diet. and I was eating plain instant mashed potatoes like the first week after treatment but I stopped. no reason at all, I just enjoyed the rice more. But next time I go to the store I'll buy potatoes. Did you notice at all during your time of the month, you were more nauseated and felt like throwing up? I'm about to start and the past couple days I've felt like that.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:03 am

I'm nauseated most of the time , mainly in the evening and also have some reflux but i am also positive for HPylori , so that may cause the nausea. Around that time of the month everything is worse GI wise , nausea worse as well.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:03 am

Mine is terrible!

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:28 am

Hi there, sorry you're going through this.

I just wanted to add that my daughter's experience in recovery was similar in that certain foods caused her problems, and we had to eliminate them and slowly reintroduce later.

Are you sure your stomach ache from Chick Fil A was the chicken and not the lettuce? My daughter can eat a double double at In n Out (the bread, two patties and two cheeses) but slap one slice of lettuce on it, and she's got cramps for hours. Lettuce and salad seem to be hard for people to digest in recovery.

And YES, menstrual time was really hard on her in the earlier recovery weeks and months - lots of IBS symptoms, sometimes scaring her into thinking she was relapsing. Looser stool, lots of cramps, etc. But remember, relapses also have other symptoms besides the cramps and loose stool. People usually have some temperature issues (chills or fever, could be quite mild), fatigue, feeling generally sick. My daughter also would get pale and have a puffy abdomen. We looked for those things when trying to determine if it was a relapse or not.

Good luck!

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:13 pm

So my cycle is almost done. a lot of the nausea has subsided. I tried chick fil a again. AMG I just only eat the chicken and bread. I had three to four bites this past Saturday and I felt fine.
The mucus is still concerning to me. I've had it every time I have a BM. and I'm having BM more frequently than I have the past weeks. I went twice today and I normally go ONCE every 2 or 3 days. And today there was much more mucus than when it first started several days ago. I'm just nervous. I'm doing my best to stay in faith and not thinking its the beginning of a relapse. Stool is loose.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:13 am

When I would get M in the early days post c diff, my GI told me to take some Pepto Bismol and it helped. I would ask your doctor about it.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:41 pm

I THINK I'M RELAPSING. My mucus started in my stool last week and now today I've had 3 BM. and I'm having to go again right now. I just left the grocery store and I can barely hold it in. So it will be my fourth one today. Still alot of mucus. My stool is formed but very soft. I really pray the diarrhea doesn't start happening. I'm nervous.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Lila30. I’m so sorry. My prayers are with you! Hopefully this is just a scare.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”