Is this typical recovery?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AK2489
Brand New Poster

Is this typical recovery?

Postby AK2489 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Hi all. I’m a 28 year old healthy female. Tested positive for c diff on August 3 after dealing with diarrhea (sometimes watery, sometimes just loose stool) and cramps for about a week and wasn’t sure why. I had a c section on July 13 and my OB suggested getting a stool test done by my primary doctor. I began vancomycin on August 4, 125mg 4 times a day for 10 days.

I don’t believe my infection was very bad to begin with. No fever, extreme fatigue, or anything like that. Just the diarrhea up to 10 times a day and abdominal cramping. Physically I didn’t feel too bad, and I can still get out of the house and do things as long as I’m very careful with what I eat. I can only tolerate very bland foods right now.

I am on day 6 of vancomycin and the frequency of BMs has reduced to about 5 times per day, but when I feel the need to go it’s still fairly urgent. The diarrhea is no longer watery but is still very very loose. I’m still very sensitive to what I can eat and am still having some stomach cramping. I have started drinking “GoodBelly” probiotic juice once a day and plan to switch to a probiotic pill once I run out.

I know that any antibiotic kills off some good bacteria. Is it reasonable to assume that I will continue to have loose stools and cramps until the course of medication is completed? Does this sound like a normal c diff recovery?

Kuro
Contributor

Re: Is this typical recovery?

Postby Kuro » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Hi!

Sorry to hear of your CDI diagnosis, and particularly that it came right after the birth of a little one. We've had quite a few mothers who had CDI before, during, and after though. You're going to be OK! :)

It's very possible to have a low grade infection. Sort of depends upon which strain of CDIFF was causing you difficulties. Only being able to tolerate bland foods is very normal right now, and in fact, it's advised that you stick to a bland diet like BRAT for a while. Even with a minor infection, the colon has taken a beating and will need time to heal. I can relate because my infection was also minor, but the recovery has been rocky.

You will find that you may have food sensitivities as a result of the infection which you didn't have prior. Often, these sensitivities go away with time, but not always. Right now, stick to bland and safe, and make sure that you stay hydrated (something to drink with electrolytes may help here). It's not much fun, but it's what has to be done at first. With time, people add most of their usual foods back, some faster than others.

Vanco does kill about 20% of your gut flora, whether good or bad. After you complete the course, the real recovery begins, as the gut flora is no longer under attack and can repopulate. It's good that you're already getting on a probiotic to help that along! It's reasonable to assume that your stools may be all over the place in appearance and consistency both during and for a while after the medication treatment.

It's difficult to say what will happen after the medication is done and you're recovering. Some people bounce right back, some need time to heal and get back to normal. Most people (80%) are cured in 1-2 rounds of antibiotics, though, so the odds are very much in your favor.

If your Vanco treatment goes on and you feel that your symptoms aren't under control as you near the end, give your doctor a call and talk to them about it. They may or may not want to make an adjustment.

AK2489
Brand New Poster

Postby AK2489 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:43 pm

Thank you for the reply. Today is day 7 on vancomycin and it was a better day than yesterday - I don’t believe I had any abdominal cramping, or if I did it was minimal. I have had 4 very loose BMs since midnight, so frequency and consistency of BMs is still the same, but I would think the lack of cramping today is a positive sign. Monday will be my last day on the vancomycin so I’m very anxious as to how next week is going to go once I’ve stopped taking it!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:35 pm

You may do better off the medication. That happens sometimes. But, if symptoms come back, contact your GI as you may need a longer course or tapering.

AK2489
Brand New Poster

Postby AK2489 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Thanks Beth. My doctor said if symptoms return or worsen after this round of vancomycin that we would try a 14 day course as the next option.

I’ve been reading about Flagyl on this site... I am so glad I’m breastfeeding because that’s the reason they started me with vancomycin instead. Flagyl looks to be pretty nasty for a lot of people! Fortunately I have excellent insurance and the Vanco is very affordable for me.

AK2489
Brand New Poster

Postby AK2489 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:12 am

This morning was my last dose of vancomycin. Yesterday I had 4 loose BMs and have had 2 so far today. This is the frequency I’ve had pretty much since the 3rd day of the vancomycin- anywhere from 4 to 6 loose BMs a day. Abdominal cramping has pretty much subsided completely, and between BMs I feel pretty good. The BMs are still pretty urgent when they do come. I’m pretty anxious for the next several days to see what happens off the vancomycin.

Yesterday afternoon, though, I had a little bit of a headache. I decided to take my temperature just for kicks (did not suspect a temperature) and I was surprised to see it was 99.5. I’m generally low 98’s. This morning it’s hovering right around 99 even. When I was first diagnosed I told my doctor I didn’t have a fever because I was certain I didn’t have one, but I never actually checked, and now I’m wondering if the low grade fever has been hanging out this whole time. Should my temperature be normal by now? I know that fever means the body is fighting an infection - is it possibly a good thing that my temperature is slightly elevated, indicating my body is fighting the c diff?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”