Azithromycin - Terrified of C-Diff Returning - Advice Needed

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
iheartcats
Regular User

Azithromycin - Terrified of C-Diff Returning - Advice Needed

Postby iheartcats » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:21 pm

I had C-Diff in late 2011/early 2012 that took two rounds of Flagyl to treat and was an awful experience.

I've avoided antibiotics until this year. In February my cold turned into bacterial bronchitis and I had to take Z-Pack/Azithromycin to clear that up and avoid pneumonia. My doctor and I have been careful with antibiotics because of my history.

Last week, I had an emergency root canal that was infected (and they said I had to take it otherwise I could get an infection in my bloodstream). They wanted to give me amoxicillin (which gave me C-Diff in 2011), but I was not comfortable taking it so I just completed another Z-Pack today.

I'm eating yogurt, taking probiotics and trying to stay positive but I had a bad round of diarrhea today. I'm so afraid it will continue (C-Diff made me so ill in 2011 I can't imagine going through it again). I do have other health issues that are mostly under control, but it probably makes me a slightly higher risk. I had a colonoscopy last fall and am being treated for anemia and have a small camera endoscopy coming up at the end of the month so I already have issues with my stomach/bowels.

In 2011 C-Diff just came on suddenly. And the bathroom use was non-stop for two days until they tested for it (sorry TMI). I know you can have diarrhea from antibiotics that's entirely normal, but what can I watch for to tell the difference?

Thank you kindly. I'm very worried but am trying to stay rational.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Azithromycin - Terrified of C-Diff Returning - Advice Needed

Postby NanciT » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:52 pm

It's been a long time since you have had CDIFF which is fantastic. I think we all worry a great deal with any antibiotic but the reality is sometimes you have to take them.
It sounds like you have a good doctor who makes all every effort to avoid them. We can't take away your worry, just know there are many on the site who have taken a Z Pak and not relapsed.
Do exactly what you are doing, take your probiotic, eat yogurt and think positive. I wish we didnt have to live with the worry but it is something we all do
Hopefully a few other's will jump in here who have taken a Z Pak

Hang in there

NanciT

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:59 pm

I understand why you are worried. We all would be. If it is any consolation many who have recovered from c diff have taken z packs without relapsing. Taking probiotics and eating yogurt definitely helps. If you are not taking a Florastor I suggest you start that ASAP 2x per day. While not proven, it is widely believed that Florastor helps prevent c diff from recurring. Other than that, just do what you are doing and watch for multiple episodes of watery d ...we use the 3 day rule. More than 3 episodes of watery d / day for 3 days is reason for concern. Try to stay calm and not think the worse. Hopefully you will be fine.

Good luck,
Rita

iheartcats
Regular User

Postby iheartcats » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:53 pm

Thank you both so much for your reassurances.

I've had one watery D today (but just one) and an upset stomach. My doctor wants me to do labs if I have more watery D 'just in case' but since it's not too frequent hopefully it's just a normal reaction.

It is hard knowing what C-Diff is like and have to take antibiotics. Maybe my one time was a fluke - it happens! Let's hope!

I hadn't heard of Floristar - I'm using Target-brand Probiotics - but I will pick some up because they sound exactly like what I need. There were so many options I didn't know what to get so thank you kindly.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”