SORE THROAT!!!

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Tonja13
Regular Contributor

SORE THROAT!!!

Postby Tonja13 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi Everyone!!!
I haven't been on here in a while! I popped in last year, when I made it through a 10-day course of Levaquin. Amazing!
Life has been very good and I've been healthy! I'm a really good example of how someone can go through a REALLY hard time with CDI and recover. I relapsed so many times my doctors and I actually lost count! It was bad. I really credit this group with saving me--not the doctors (not for lack of effort). Eventually, even my digestion returned to normal and I was able to eat everything I ate before c. diff. It did take TIME though.

Anyway, I've had a SORE THROAT since Monday. I'm fearing strep, but I'm trying to hold out and see if I can kick this without antibiotics. I have an appointment to see my GP tomorrow. I'm going to get a lab culture to find out if it's strep or not. There have been times since getting my tonsils out (best decision ever) I SWORE I had strep again, but it wasn't. So I'm hoping for that luck again.

Per our usual protocol, I will leave my doctors office with a prescription in one hand and a poop kit in the other. I will wait for the strep test results and if I have strep, I can make my own mind up to take the antibiotics or not. The doc will be on standby if CDI should pop-up again. In any event that it ever happens again--Dificid.

It's a plan. I came here today for support and opinions...best options of antibiotics to treat the strep? Should I even risk it? I know, I know, here in the US--the docs are antibiotic-happy.

I appreciate any input, thanks everyone!

Much Love,
Tonja
:-)

roy
Administrator

Re: SORE THROAT!!!

Postby roy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:29 pm

Even if it is strep 5 days after the onset of the symptoms I dont think antibiotics make much difference to your own illness.
You would be taking them only to stop it spreading to someone else.

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:43 pm

Supposedly, if you take them within the first 10 days, it reduces the chances of complications (heart damage, etc.). It also prevents passing it on.
If you don't treat, you are contagious for approximately 3 weeks following.
There was one time I had it (in my twenties) for 3 weeks before getting antibiotics, but I still had tonsils back then.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Hopefully, it is not strep, but see what the doctor says. Unfortunately, strep can cause heart problems in some people, so depending on your own medical history, do what your doctor advises.

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Postby Lid49 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:46 pm

I to have sore throt and sinusitis but I think is viral my daughter too, I do not think you have strep throat.
Hope you feel better,
Lidia.

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:24 am

Thanks Lidia. I saw my doc today. He doesn't think it looks like strep. He sent in a swab for culture to put my mind at ease. I think I'm starting to feel better though. Yay!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:45 am

We have had something going around, I had a Sore throat for 6 days, I don't recall when I had the last one it's been so long, I never get them. I had a fever for 2 and felt terrible. It's taken about 10 days to improve, I ended up getting a regular throat culture done instead of a quick test which is what I always recommend if the sore throat continues. Mine was negative so I took no medication.

Hope you feel better soon, this bug is a nasty one and seems to linger

NanciT

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:38 pm

UPDATE: You are right Nancy. It wasn't strep and I'm feeling better now. There's a couple viruses going around right now. They are making the rounds through my workplace.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”