Could I be relapsing?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Vanessa
Brand New Poster

Could I be relapsing?

Postby Vanessa » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:34 pm

Hello everyone!
I tested negative for c diff PCR after Vanco taper. It’s been a little more than 2 months since my treatment. I was doing great. But then I startedexperiencing c diff symptoms again; mucus and loose stools. My question is, has anyone tested negative and get c diff infection again. My GI Doctor ordered me another C Diff test so I’m waiting on those results and she said if it’s positive then I will have to do FMT but in pill form for 30 days. This will be my 4th relapse if it’s positive. I hope it’s not!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Could I be relapsing?

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:58 pm

It's possible to relapse after testing negative, yes. But, it is also possible to get a different infection or have IBS. Wait and see what your results are and then you and your doctor can decide what is the best plan.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:22 pm

It would be very far out for you to be having a relapse, but possible. It is also possible you could have picked up a new infection. I read a study once that analyzed the C Diff strains of people who "relapsed". A significant number of them actually were infected with a different strain.
I am curious about these FMT pills you mentioned. Could you provide us with more information on that treatment?
I live in Virginia and just getting a fecal transplant here is difficult. I had to go to a teaching hospital over an hour away. There seem to be many regional differences in practitioners performing FMT's. And I have only seen a few posters say they were going to be treated with the FMT pills.
I had to have an FMT to be cured, and certainly if I ever went through recurrent c diff again the idea of taking pills sounds way preferable.
I will be hoping for you that you get your results back quickly and are Negative!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:34 am

Testing after treatment to prove it's gone is not recommended.
If you test too soon any remaining c.diff thats in spore form will not be detected and might vegetated soon after the test.
An inexperienced Dr will then assume a return of symptoms is not c.diff.
A "false" positive is also possible because of left over c.diff DNA or an actual active infection that is being dealt with by the immune system and not causing a host response (asymptomatic).

I have not heard of an oral FMT that's spread over 30 days.
30 pills in one day yes, but not spread out.

Vanessa
Brand New Poster

Postby Vanessa » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:23 pm

Hello everyone,
My results came back negative which is great to here. My doctor said to just keep her updated on how I’m feeling. I actually think that c diff was coming back bought my body fought it like it’s supposed to.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:02 pm

Glad you are negative. That should give you some peace of mind.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”