Recovering after 1st round of Flagyl

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Amanda
New User

Recovering after 1st round of Flagyl

Postby Amanda » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:10 am

Hi all
I’m a 50 yo female, diagnosed with c diff after 14 days on CIPRO + FLAGYL for appendectomy and colitis. Moderate symptoms (fever, watery D) started 5 days after stopping the two drugs. Was given FLAGYL + Florastor for 10 days. Started having upset bowel 4 days after stopping Flagyl, but have no fever. Have fluffy things coming out, but not watery D. It appears the stools are getting firmer over the past 12 hours. My GI recommended Pepto Bismol and Vanco pulse, but I was hoping not to have to take the antibiotics given it looks like a mild infection. Apart from the cramping when it is bathroom time, I feel well and have the appetite.

What is your experience on recovery? Can it be bumpy like that or is it typically smooth for those who are successful after the first round?

Thanks for any comments!

andres
New User

Re: Recovering after 1st round of Flagyl

Postby andres » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:37 pm

Hey

I finished my first round two weeks ago, and I feel everything that you are feeling. I know it’s scary reading that flagyl isn’t the best option, but it is the cheapest. Any symptom has made me think that I will surely relapse. I had the similar washroom experiences you are having, but after a few days and a careful diet I had more solid and less frequent bowel movements. The abdominal pain for me was a side effect of flagyl and went away a few days after treatment. I recommend still taking your florastor even after treatment, it will help your gut flora rebuild now that the flagyl has basically killed off a lot of the good stuff along with hopefull the c. diff.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:19 am

Vanco pulse has worked for many. Pepto Bismol helped me with symptoms. It won't help with a full blown infection, but it did for low grade and IBS for me.

Amanda
New User

Postby Amanda » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi
Thanks for your comments Beth and Andres. I had a day of non watery D on day 5 after stopping flagyl but it stopped after that. My stools are by no means what they used to be, but I understand this is part of the recovery. I’m now on day 10 after stopping flagyl, feeling well and stabe, with 2-3 BM per day. Taking 1x 250mg Florastor per day, kefir, chicken + bone broth 2x day, steamed apples, oatmeal and almond + coconut milk. Also eating chicken, rice, sweet potatoes and toasts. I want to introduce other foods but fear to upset my bowels!
Amanda

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:20 am

Introduce one new food at a time to see how you do with it and then wait about 3 days to introduce another. Also, I would suggest taking just a very small portion of a new food the first time to see what happens.

andres
New User

Postby andres » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:31 am

It's all trial and error at this point. I started introducing small bits of whey protein into my Kiefer smoothies to start gaining some weight again and i've had no reaction, but I had beans and it sent me straight to the washroom. It depends on your body, but general rule of thumb for me was no spicy food, beans or diary. (though kiefer is an exception and a good way to ease you back into diary)

also try not to be too obsessive about your bm's as long as it's not d, and there's no blood or mucus, then you're on a good track! i've looked at my stools so often i feel like i forgot what my normal bm's looked like.

and remember that for every day that you have no serious signs, the less likely you might relapse, most people relapse at 1-3 weeks post treatment, so your odds get better everyday!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:10 am

Beans , cabbage , peas are foods with very high fiber and they will upset your gut , although they are a healthy option they are not to be eaten in early recovery.

Amanda
New User

Postby Amanda » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Well, things were on track until yesterday when I started seeing some B in my stool, and also stools became looser to the point of having D last night and this morning (although not watery). I called my GI’s office, he said to call him if I have pain or fever. I do have some pain on my lower back on the left side, but it almost feels it’s from my hip. No fever. Called the doctor again, waiting for him to call me back. Since yesterday I stopped having gluten and dairy, hoping these symptoms are due to some intolerance. Also had a real solid meal just now, with rice, potato and chicken.
Bumpy road. Keeping my fingers crossed I’m not relapsing.
Good luck Andres, sounds you are on the right path!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:11 am

I hope it's just a bad day for you and it's not a relapse. If things seem to get worse, then call the doctor. I just wanted to say that you don't have to have a fever with c-diff. I never had a fever, although I felt like I did with chills. The main sign of relapse is profuse watery D with the urgency to go. The blood may be from irritation, but if that persists, I would call the doctor.

Amanda
New User

Postby Amanda » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Thanks Lisa. Apparently it was just a bad day. I’m better today, no D or M or B. I did increase (with My GI’s agreement) the dose of Florastor from 1x to 2x per day, and also cut gluten and dairy. Not sure if these things did the trick? What a roller coaster....

Amanda
New User

Postby Amanda » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi all
I found some good info on foods with probiotic or prebiotic value, hopefully of value:
https://www.holisticprimarycare.net/top ... otics.html

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:23 am

Amanda , try to maintain the bland for a few more days until your gut calms down and then add one new food at the time. And yes , as Lisa said , fever is not a symptom that all of us had , i never had fever but had the endless D and pain.

kari712
Brand New Poster

Postby kari712 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:02 pm

Hello,

I hope you’re feeling better now. I wouldn’t worry too much about symptoms after, I experienced the same thing after flagyl. You won’t be completely normal right away. My advice is, in everyway just take it easy, mild food, don’t overexert yourself, etc. One thing I would mention is it might be a good idea to stay away from pepto or anything that stops you from going.. D is your body’s way of trying to get rid of a toxin, pepto can turn your BMs darker, so it can look like B, that was one thing the doc mentioned to me. I had D and took Imodium shortly before my c diff was full blown, I think that may have contributed to putting me over the edge as the bad bacteria was stuck brewing in my tummy.

Also, natural probiotics with a variety of healthy bacteria are very helpful, I used garden of life raw probiotics, they are a little spendy, but very much worth it. I started immediately after the flagyl to repopulate my gut.

Anyways, that’s my experience, take what you will from it, and I hope it helps!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”