Vanco taper success rate

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Byrn09
New User

Vanco taper success rate

Postby Byrn09 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi all! unfortunately I relapsed after three weeks free. I’m a 26 year old female and was diagnosed end of June with cdiff. I was put on 125x4 a day of Vanco for 10 days and after a few days seemed to be doing much better. I had lost 10 pounds in two weeks previously before finding out what was wrong! My doctor now wants to put me on Vanco AGAIN. This time 14 days and then a taper for 2 weeks and then 30 days of choleystramine to help bind up any left over toxins my doctor said.
I’m on immunosuppressant drugs for crohns which complicates matters I feel like and I’m a RN. I bleach the house every other day, bleach our bed and clothes and leave uniforms in the washer as soon as I’m home. Also take a daily probiotic 50billion one a day and don’t know what else to do. I get married end of September and just feel so down today from being told this.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vanco taper success rate

Postby beth22 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:39 pm

Vanco taper has worked for many. It did not work for me. An alternative is to try Dificid. It kills less good flora and targets the c difficile specifically.

Byrn09
New User

Postby Byrn09 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:18 pm

beth22 my doctor said that drug is expensive so that’s why he wanted to try a taper first. Do you know how compatible the success rates with the taper vs. dificid are?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:24 pm

I know several people who took Dificid because vanco taper didn't work. My insurance covers Dificid. I would call yours and find out if they do. If they do, tell your doctor.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:07 am

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”