C diff spores wipes how to use them??

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Silviaxo
Regular User

C diff spores wipes how to use them??

Postby Silviaxo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:19 pm

I bought some of those wipes everyone has been talking about that kill C diff spores. Now once I wipe everything down do I need to go back and wipe it off with a wet rag? Or can i just wipe with the wipes and leave it as that. It's okay to touch surfaces once it dries?? Just making sure lol

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: C diff spores wipes how to use them??

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:19 pm

They have bleach, so wear gloves when you use them. As far as I know, you have to leave it wet or unwiped for at least 15 minutes. Then, yes, I would take a rag and wipe it off. You don't want to discolor anything or bleach clothes, etc. if you come in contact and it gets wet again.

Silviaxo
Regular User

Postby Silviaxo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:58 pm

I did wear gloves :) so if i wipe down everything with the bleach wipes then I literally have to go back and re-wipe with a wash cloth?? That seems like so much.. I was hoping I just had to wipe down with the wipes and leave it at that.. hmmmm

Silviaxo
Regular User

Postby Silviaxo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:01 pm

And I thought it says it kills c diff spores in 3 minutes so why do I have to wait 15 minutes??

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:17 pm

The container does say that it kills C. Diff spores in 3 minutes, yes. When I use the wipes, it's just on solid surfaces such as in the bathroom, my keyboard, mouse, phone, etc.

I've always just left it to sit and dry, myself, without going back to wipe it off. I've never had an issue.

Silviaxo
Regular User

Postby Silviaxo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:40 pm

Thank you kuro! I just use it to wipe bathroom down, doorknobs, light switchs, fridge door, etc! I do have kids in my home so is it safe they touch the door knobs even after it dries?? Not sure if you would know this. Thought I'd ask..

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:03 pm

I don't know the answer for a fact, so I wouldn't want to imply that with kids involved. :) There's probably a number you could call, maybe?

That said, I personally doubt it would be harmful once it dries thoroughly, which doesn't seem to take too long. I touch the bleached surfaces once they dry and have no issues at all.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:56 pm

If it says 3 minutes then go by that. I know when you mix your own solution with bleach and water it is 15 minutes, but these are probably more concentrated. If the surfaces,are not ones that come in contact with clothes, then I guess no need to wipe off. I wouldn't want to sit down on the edge of my tub, for example, and bleach my clothes. That is why I wipe down those types of surfaces.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:58 am

wiping down a second time can reapply spores and spread them around.
the cloth you rinse with will NOT be sterile.

Killing time
Read the label.
If it says kills c.diff in 3 mins it probably refers to vegative c.diff.
if it mentions c.diff spores 3 mins should be accurate.
Home mixed bleach is probably far more effective and thorough.
I have never seen a surface that is still wet 3 mins after being wiped down with any sort of commercial wipe.

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:18 am

Just FYI, it specifically says C. difficile spores, so 3 minutes is accurate.

As to the thoroughness, well, all I can say is that it makes cleaning manageable with my physical disability and I will have to hope for the best.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:19 am

Its a matter of choice and economics
Under laboratory conditions the wipes tested effective and the manufacturer spent a lot of money getting the right to say they are sporicidal.
they recoup that expense by charging a higher price for the product.
Many cheaper products contain exactly the same ingredient but have not been tested so are only called cleaning wipes.
Surfaces that can withstand being sprayed or wiped with wet bleach (diluted to the recommended strength) and left wet will always be biologically cleaner than a surface that is wiped with a proprietary product.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:37 pm

If you use the bleach wipe on a surface that you sit on, for example, yes it dries. But, if it gets wet then it can still bleach your clothes. This happened to me.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”