What's going on with me?? NEWBIE CONFUSED

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Silviaxo
Regular User

What's going on with me?? NEWBIE CONFUSED

Postby Silviaxo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:28 am

Okay so I was tested positive for c diff after 4 doses of clindamycin. I only had D for one day. Before that it was just loose stools with some mucus and blood. But now I'm having formed stools with constipation?? I'm literally starving so much I'm so hungry. I've only been eating VERY VERY little a day like a piece a toast and soup.. maybe a bite or 2 of a banana.. plus my kefir tea. If I eat other foods i noticed my stomach has some discomfort and cramping.. so im literally terrified to eat to the point where I'm light headed. I'm getting tired of it and I'm just going to say screw it and eat something to see what happens?? But I'm very confused if my c diff is going away and now I have IBS? OR if my c diff is still there and not doing anything to me since I'm basically starving myself?? Ughh the Drs told me I need to take vanco for 14 days.. I told them I have no D you still want me to take the antibiotics? She said yes. I'm so confused on what's going on or what to do!! Please suggestions would be nice thank you..

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: What's going on with me?? NEWBIE CONFUSED

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:41 pm

I found that the things I stopped eating when I had c diff are the ones that I did not tolerate well after. You should not starve yourself. Try eating bland foods and introduce them slowly. Baked chicken breast, rice, baked potato, applesauce, rice krispies ceral with rice milk or almond milk, toast, soups like chicken noodle or pureed vegetable soup. When you introduce vegetables, cook them and you can even put them through the blender and puree them. I made soup like that, but in summer it is hot for soup. I never stopped eating red meat and had no issues with it. Fish is also good if you like it. Turkey too.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:55 pm

If your hungry then eat!
Nothing dangerous will happen.

CorgiGal
New User

Postby CorgiGal » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:06 pm

I too only had diarrhea for about 2 days. Before that it was a month of loose stools several times a day and feeling horrible. It does suck, because doctors aren't as suspicious of a C.diff infection until the D starts!

It can be terrifying to eat, it was for me too. Starting with bland foods helped me a lot. Excellent advice from beth about soups and rice and chicken/turkey. I was able to tolerate coconut oil well, so I put that in with my bland meals to add a few more calories and I felt that it soothed my GI tract a bit. In my case I had to cut out all dairy products and limit my gluten consumption for a while (going on 4 months recovered and still can't have much dairy or gluten). I took Flagyl not Vanco and tolerated it very poorly so I didn't feel immediate relief, but I have heard many people on this site that took vanco saw relief in GI irritation begin a day or two after treatment started and could eat a bit more food at that point.

Until you feel that relief you may have to just force yourself to eat. It absolutely sucks, your stomach hurts and you want nothing to do with food. But it gets better, I promise you, and you will get better faster if you give your body the building blocks it needs to start to rebuild itself.

I hope you begin to feel better soon, this is an awful disease!

EB80
New User

Postby EB80 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:21 pm

Are you on the vancomycin now? Some people say that they had looser stools but I definitely have a constipated feeling on vanco.

Silviaxo
Regular User

Postby Silviaxo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:55 am

Okay so I ate white rice today and added Italian sauce (the only way I eat it) and tonight I have some stomach discomfort!!) NO D. Do you guys think it's dangerous for me to not treat my positive C DIFF or would you wait it out since there is no D? I had a solid stool today as well. And this is why I do not want to eat because now I have some discomfort and mild pains :(

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:42 am

I don't know what Italian sauce is but it sounds like something tomato-based and/or spicy. If you're unable or unwilling to alter your food preferences (we all have them) while you're still recovering, you'll likely continue to have GI symptoms that have nothing to do with C. diff. It would be a bad idea to treat simply because of a positive C. diff test in the absence of D, especially given the scenario that you've described.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:55 am

I agree that c diff can be a severe infection even if you're not having watery diarrhea. I presented with mucus and blood, then wouldn't go for day, then cramps and another episode. I felt weak, flu like, fast heartbeat and just awful. Long story short, very very sick. I lost tons of weight and almost too weak to stand. I was told at a teaching hospital that watery diarrhea does not always represent the level of illness. Everyone is different depending on their health and strain of c diff.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:32 pm

I also did not have WD, but did have lots of M and B. WD helps to rid your body of the toxins. Sometimes when you don't have it, the toxins build up and stay in and cause these other symptoms that you describe. I had them too.

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:28 pm

This is just my personal experience, but maybe it could somehow help.

I fluctuate between C and soft but formed, so that does happen in CDIFF recovery. Actually, when I was on Vanco, it made me super constipated.

You could ask to have testing done if you're more than 14 days out. However, I'll warn that this can cause confusion, because you can test positive but contradict that by not having symptoms. Basically, the PCR is so sensitive that it can detect dead CDIFF DNA, or CDIFF as a normal but controlled part of your gut flora. I recently had this scare, but the doctors decided to consider the test a negative because of the absence of D, as well as my testing negative for Toxins A & B.

You do have to eat, so by all means, say screw it and eat! However, you're in recovery right now and need to eat the right things. That means bland stuff. You've been given some good suggestions above for the types of foods to go for, so try those. Something like Italian sauce is likely way too acidic/spicy right now.

Try as much as you can (and I know personally that it's hard, believe me) to stay calm and know that you'll be OK.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”