Fluconazole/Diflucan

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
kanak
New User

Fluconazole/Diflucan

Postby kanak » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:50 pm

I have read several posts and many refer back to an old post from 2006 saying do not take antifungals.

I have a yeast infection and have diflucan to take. I have had recurrent c diff with my last fmts in march. I need to take this but I'm scared. Can you please tell me if uou did ok with Diflucan or if anyone relapsed? I know it's an antifungal but when I Google it there's some mixed information.
I'd appreciate your advice.
Amy

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Fluconazole/Diflucan

Postby NanciT » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

We have had several posters who are Post CDIFF including myself that have taken Diflucan. I have taken it on and off Post CDIFF with no issues.

It is an anti fungal and I am not aware of any warnings it can cause CDIFF

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Although theres no recognized connection between c.diff and diflucan the need to use it shows theres a problem with the balance of natural flora wherever your problem is located.
Theres more and more proof that meds that change the gut flora need to be used with caution.
A good Dr would look at why you have a fungal infection and not just resort to treating with meds.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:22 am

My mother took it more than once after c difficile and had no issues.

EB80
New User

Postby EB80 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:04 am

Sorry that I can’t answer your specific question but I am curious if vancomycin gave you a yeast infection? On Flagyl I had the white tongue and now on vanco I have a female yeast infection. I’ve taken probiotics for years but they seem to be no match for the c.diff and yeast. I’m not sure what else to do to prevent these things but it’s certainly frustrating. If there is a yeast overgrowth in the body maybe taking Diflucan would be helpful in that regard?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:05 am

As with any antibiotic it can cause a yeast infection. It has been brought up several times over the years on the site, some get chronic yeast on and post Vanco. I was one and unfortunately it has continued. The flora gets thrown off with the treatment. I eventually had to go on a series of Diflucan doses to finally get rid of it.
We tried everything including a vaginal probiotic and yet it persisted. It can take time. Make sure to see an OBGYN for treatment.

I a sure there are those who are treated once and then fine, just adding here it can take some time. I was on Vanco twice and the last time it was a 3 month taper

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”