I'm on Vanco

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Zette
Brand New Poster

I'm on Vanco

Postby Zette » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:58 pm

Hello,

Like two months ago I was diagnosed with C.Diff and was put on Flagyl 500 mg x3 for 10 days. Flagyl unfortunately had no effect, and my symptoms were still there.

Two weeks after I finished Flagyl I took a new test, and as expected I was still positive for C. Diff.

I was then put on Vanco, 125 mg x4, which I have been taking for 5 days now. I do not feel any effect at all.

I have been reading about Vanco on this page and others, and as it seems you should start to feel better within 48-72 hours?

At the moment this feels hopeless, and I am questioning if I ever will get rid of C. Diff.

My question is, are there anyone out there who did not get effect by Vanco the first couple of days, but got cured/or had effect like after 5 days or more? I am looking to get a glimpse of hope.

Thanks!

Kuro
Contributor

Re: I'm on Vanco

Postby Kuro » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:48 pm

I'm not exactly sure when Vanco started to kick in for me, to be honest. It's somewhat different for everyone. If you are having problems with D, have they slowed down even some? If so, it may gradually be starting to do the trick. If not, you could always call your doctor. At worst, they say it's fine and keep going. Or, they might raise the dose or make a change.

You have options after just a 14-day dose of Vanco, so don't give up. Just about everybody gets rid of it eventually, 80% of people within 1-2 doses of meds.

Don't let the fact that Flagyl failed get you down. It often fails and has really bad side effects for most people. Isn't even on the FDA's official list of treatments for CDI anymore, actually; they are supposed to start with Vanco.

It's a challenge, I know. Been through a possible relapse scare recently myself, with the same dose you're on being my only dose of meds. Hang in there and take it day by day, but do call your doc if you're concerned.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:30 pm

If your symptom is frequent watery D then vanco should resolve it within 5 to 7 days.
If you still have D you should go back to your Dr and ask if your treatment needs reviewing.
If your being treated because of other symptoms that might not be c.diff related and only a positive test then vanco might not be the appropriate med.

Zette
Brand New Poster

Postby Zette » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:51 am

Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate it. I have been speaking to my doctor, and I will continue with Vanco for 14 days. I have IBS since a few years back, and we have excluded inflammatory diseases both then and now. Which makes him almost certain that the problems i experience right now is my C. Diff.

If Vanco does not give effect even after all 14 days, we will look into the possibility to do a FMT. Which hopefully might do the trick.

Do you guys have any tips for what I can do in the meantime to decrease my symtoms. Being om the toilett 10+ times a day is quite frustrating. I guess imodium is no good idea as it might keep the toxins in?

Whyme111
Regular User

Postby Whyme111 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi,
My Dr put me on Vsl #3 two times a day. He also extended my Vanco treatment and put me on a taper/pulse. I'm currently on the pulse part of my treatment and still get ups n downs. Everyday is different and sometimes scary, not knowing what's happening. I'm trying to listen to my body and currently I have found that when my symptoms increase, I also drink some Kefir and also have added some Kimchi to my daily diet. These might not work for everybody but it's what's keeping me somewhat functional at this point.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”