Recovery!!

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lila30
Contributor

Recovery!!

Postby lila30 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Hello everyone!

I am 30 yr old female and I have one more day left on vanco from c.diff. I was taking 4 times a day for 14 days. Since I have never went through this before, I just wanted to know what to expect during recovery. I was constipated the whole time I was on treatment. But I did have a BM last night and this morning but there wasn't that much. I still get REALLY nauseated but when I am hungry I want to eat everything but I have only been on chicken and rice diet with bananas. Does the nausea subside once off vanco or does it still linger during recovery? Just wanted to hear from others. Also what good probiotics should I start taking that are not too harsh, as I have never taken probiotics before?
Thank you! =)

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recovery!!

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:28 am

Symptoms vary from person to person. I continued with nausea for a while. Bms can be all over the place. I would start with a bland diet and then work in more foods as time goes by. I take VSL#3 for a probiotic, but others take Florastor. There are many out there. I had to try various before I found one that agreed with me.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:35 pm

Thank you Beth! I am still going to continue on the chicken and rice diet for the first two weeks. Ive been having cramping and pain in my stomach and nausea. I went to my GI doctor yesterday and he told me that my colon is stopped up so he wants me to do an enema but I am nervous cause I don't want to do anything to where the c. diff might come back. He told me once I get myself cleaned out those symptoms should subside. He also told me that he personally doesn't like taking pills that I don't need to take a probiotic if I didn't want to. I wonder if I did try a probiotic maybe this constipation would go away and everything would flow out.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:33 am

Probiotics can help. If you are C, then don't take Florastor as that is given for D often. Try a multi-strain probiotic. Digestive Advantage makes one and so do others. There are many at the pharmacies.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:46 pm

I'm glad you told me about florastor. I was going to go buy it. I saw a commercial about Tropicana probiotic drinks. it has active bacteria.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 pm

You could also try kefir. It is found in the dairy section and has a lot of probiotics in it. You drink it. Similar to yogurt.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:49 am

Beth I went to the grocery store and saw the kefir but with my stomach still sensitive, I didn't want to risk it upsetting my stomach. I did buy Activia yogurt but the lactose free kind. I'm still nervous about that. I'm just going to try a couple bites first and see how I do. hopefully it doesn't upset my stomach.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:06 am

Activia really upset my stomach a lot, but others have taken it with no problem. Kefir is supposed to be 99% lactose free. If you decide to try it, just take a few sips at first. I found it easier to tolerate than Activia or yogurt.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:40 am

oh really?! I didn't know that kefir was 99% lactose free! I would of bought that. I was looking on the bottle and couldn't find lactose free on there. maybe I just missed it. do you know if maybe I can drink kefir and try yogurt, but at different times?

Silviaxo
Regular User

Postby Silviaxo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:49 am

If you can't do kefir from the dairy section there is a kefir tea at the nugget!! Called the living apothecary!! Has 45 strains of good bacteria it has helped me alot!!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”