Can C Diff Go Away On Its Own?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
DD454
New User

Can C Diff Go Away On Its Own?

Postby DD454 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi,

So I started Flagyl last Thursday and stopped this Wednesday due to horrible side effects. I started to have suicidal and depressive thoughts and am still recovering from the anxiety it gave me. I was going to talk to a doctor about getting Vancomycin as they have not given me another prescription despite telling me to stop it. The side effects from the Flagyl were so bad that I am afraid to start Vancomycin. My dad seemed to have similar symptoms to me and most likely had C Diff but seemed to get over it by himself after about 2 months. He didn't go on an antibiotic to fight it. My symptoms don't seem as horrible before as they did help the physical aspect of the disease but the side effects were making me crazy. Do you think it's worth going on Vancomycin or should I see how my body handles the C Diff from here on out?

Kuro
Contributor

Re: Can C Diff Go Away On Its Own?

Postby Kuro » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:17 pm

Nobody on the site is a doctor, so we really can't advise you what to do here.

That said, if you felt better after some amount of antibiotic, it's a pretty good indication that you do have an active infection. If it were me in that case, I'd continue antibiotic therapy with Vancomycin. It's a much better drug and is contained to the gut. Flagyl isn't even on the recommended treatments list anymore, but many docs use it first either because they're out of date or because the drug is cheap (or both). A little reading here with the search tool will show you that just about everyone found Flagyl hellish to take!

Sometimes, the beginnings of the infection can be stopped if they're being caused by antibiotic simply by halting the offending antibiotic. I'm not sure if there's any other way it can resolve entirely on its own once there's an active infection.

DD454
New User

Postby DD454 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:13 pm

Thank you! Just wondering if anyone has gone through the process of letting it go on its own. Flagyl was hell on my body, but I didn't know it was until I had already been taking it.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:55 am

Mine did go away on its own the first time, but when I took antibiotics the following year, it came back and I treated.

The problem is that you already started treatment and in that case it is usually advisable to continue because you did not take enough meds to really kill off the c difficile and you also killed good bacteria that would help you fight it had you not started treatment. You could try taking probiotics while you wait for a new prescription. Maybe you will be luck and it won't come back. But, I would ask for a prescription to have on hand in case it does.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”