To treat or not to treat?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Cali1231
Brand New Poster

To treat or not to treat?

Postby Cali1231 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:56 pm

This group has been extremely helpful over the past few days so thank you for such a great resource. I am a 39 year old female who was diagnosed with C. Diff and E.Coli on 6/30/18. I had been on Amoxycillin for a double ear infection and had off and on stomach discomfort up until a week after I completed it. This past week things went into overdrive and I had watery and bloody diarrhea, vomiting and cramping every 15-30 minutes for about 18 hours. By the time my lab results were in it was late Friday afternoon and the pharmacies in my area did not have stock of Vancomycin until the order came in yesterday (Monday). In that time, my diarrhea subsided and I felt generally back to normal. I asked my provider if I should still pick up the prescription and they said they would be 'more comfortable if I did.' I generally follow dr. orders, but it didn't seem necessary since I don't have any active symptoms to start the Vanco. I asked another provider for a 2nd opinion and they did not feel I should take the Vanco without symptoms, but did mention risk of colonization and toxic colon. The only concern I have now is that I have not had a BM since my diarrhea subsided so going on 4 days now.

Any experience or perspective?

Many thanks.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Re: To treat or not to treat?

Postby sophie » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Personally I wouldn't start to treat unless the symptoms start up again. Unfortunately, sometimes taking the med when you don't need it can lead to getting C-Diff (i've read that on this site). I would have the med on hand (or ensure I have quick access to it) but not use it unless the bad symptoms return. The antibiotics you were taking may have just caused the symptoms..and if that were the case, the could've stopped after the med was stopped. Again, just my opinion.

roy
Administrator

Re: To treat or not to treat?

Postby roy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:40 pm

Drs are supposed to treat the patient, not treat the test result!
Nature designed our immune system to destroy all sorts of nasty germs, including c.diff.
Treatment is only needed if our body fails to do the job.
Check with a Dr if your BMs dont start again soon though.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”