Leg Pain and Burning on Flagyl

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
DD454
New User

Leg Pain and Burning on Flagyl

Postby DD454 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:56 am

Hi! So recently was diagnosed with C Diff last Thursday from I assume Clindamycin. I started taking Flagyl Thursday night and am having burning sensations in my hands and feet. Now my leg is sore, only my right one. Has anyone experienced this? Overall, I seem to be doing well. Not any diarrhea just terrible burning sensations. I read that it isn't good but the medicine seems to be working.

Any advice?

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Re: Leg Pain and Burning on Flagyl

Postby OCmama » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:19 am

Flagyl is no longer recommended treatment for C. diff; the new current reccomendations are vancomycin or Dificid. Flagyl can cause many side-effects, I would bring the side effects up to your dr, and ask about switching to vancomycin or Dificid.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:21 am

Hi DD454 and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for more information for new posters.

I would tell your doctor ASAP about those symptoms. Flagyl can cause neuropathy. My mom got it and it can linger and in rare cases it can be permanent. I would ask to be switched to vancomycin of Dificid as OCmama suggested. Better safe than sorry.

DD454
New User

Postby DD454 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:39 am

beth22 wrote:
> Hi DD454 and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for more
> information for new posters.
>
> I would tell your doctor ASAP about those symptoms. Flagyl can cause
> neuropathy. My mom got it and it can linger and in rare cases it can be
> permanent. I would ask to be switched to vancomycin of Dificid as OCmama
> suggested. Better safe than sorry.

Thank you so much! I definitely don't want that and it started with the medication. It is coming and going but it seems to be starting to happen in other parts of my body now.

How long was your mom suffering from the neuropathy or how often does it come and go? And did she stop the antibiotic as soon as the neuropathy started or was it after she finished the antibiotic already?
Last edited by DD454 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DD454
New User

Postby DD454 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:42 am

OCmama wrote:
> Flagyl is no longer recommended treatment for C. diff; the new current
> reccomendations are vancomycin or Dificid. Flagyl can cause many
> side-effects, I would bring the side effects up to your dr, and ask about
> switching to vancomycin or Dificid.

Thank you! Wow, did not know that. It's better off that way after seeing all the side effects. And the burning is starting to spread I've noticed and is not longer just in my legs. Will call the doctor tomorrow and ask about it. It seems to be doing it's job as far as an antibiotic but the side effects are definitely noticeable.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”