antibiotic associated D Vs C diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
ladybug
New User

antibiotic associated D Vs C diff

Postby ladybug » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:45 am

Hello,
This is my second post. I had c diff back in Dec. 2016 and I was cured taking flagyl one time. Now I am taking flagyl for a female related problem, twice a day for 7 days. This support group has helped me get through c diff and now its scaring me that I may be getting c diff again. I have read on here that taking flagy cause some people to get c diff. Two doctors have reassured me that flagyl is less likely to cause c diff and I know its on the list to be one of the most safest to take. I might just be paranoid and I am not seeing my primary care doctor who I really trust. The reason I suspect is because I am getting the D,it has a smell and some abdominal pain. The problem is I have IBS which I had prior to c diff. I called and spoke with a nurse and told her my concerns. I wanted to stop taking it but doctor wanted me to stay on it. I am taking 2 probiotics, so I am being proactive to not get it again. Has anyone had an experience where they had antibiotic associated D but thought it was C diff? Any advice or input would be helpful. Thank you. I don't know how to tell the difference.

cdiff454
Regular User

Re: antibiotic associated D Vs C diff

Postby cdiff454 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:37 pm

I was on abxs for months before I got c diff and I also have IBS-D, have had it for my whole life. The abxs always gave me worse D (except fosfomycin, that cured it, at least while I was taking it). I knew as soon as I had c diff that it wasn't regular IBS-D or AAD. With AAD I just had bad D. When I got c diff I felt sick, weak, sore joints, really upset stomach, and the smell.... Another thing is how bad it was first thing in the morning. THe day I decided to go to the ER I had watery D 16 times between 5am and 8am. AAD was nothing like that.

YMMV, but in my case there was no mistaking that it wasn't regular old IBS-D or AAD.

ladybug
New User

Postby ladybug » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Thank you cdif454. I am not having watery diarrhea just bad diarrhea.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:34 pm

I am currently using "Metrogel" which is Flagyl for the 2nd time in a month, reoccurred infection. I used the same gel a year ago with no issues.

We do everything we can to not use medications but sometimes it's a must. Any antibiotic can cause D, it's not necessarily CDIFF. If you are worried about the Oral medication and there is an alternative( Metrogel) maybe try that

Feel better soon, these infections are very frustrating

NanciT

ladybug
New User

Postby ladybug » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:42 pm

Thank you NanciT. I am wondering why they didn't put me on the gel. I appreciate your input. I don't think I realized how nasty this flagyl is because I was already sick the first time I was on it. I am probably driving myself crazy and I am 34, so I have a long way to go to deal wit these infections.

Again I really appreciate it.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”