No antibiotics or hospital visit prior to diag.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
StephN
Brand New Poster

No antibiotics or hospital visit prior to diag.

Postby StephN » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Hello! I’ve been reading through the site for weeks now and wanted to share my story.

I did not have any prior antibiotic use. In fact I’m guessing it’s been about 5 years since I’ve taken an antibiotic. I also had no contact with the hospital. I am a healthy 34 year old female. The only thing I can possible relate my diagnosis to is me being a elementary teacher.

Mine started in the middle of the night with cramping and D. I figured it was because I had eaten out the night before and maybe ate something that didn’t agree with me. I figured I would just let it run it’s course since it wasn’t that bad. The D went on for a few more days. I was taking a trip to Vegas and decided to call my doc first to make sure they didn’t think there was anything else to worry about it. They said as long as it wasn’t interfering with my day to just let it run it’s course like I had thought. I was only having lose stool and it was not watery D.
We flew to Vegas and about 8 hours in I was violently ill with puking and bright yellow/green watery D. I ended up in the hospital from dehydration. The doctor there asked me the typical c diff screening questions. Did I have antibiotics recently? Had I visited the hospital? No. No. He did not run any tests except to verify my kidneys were functioning. Tests came back normal, I stayed for thre bags of fluid and he sent me on my way with Zofran. I continued to have terrible D with a awful smell.
I came home and waited a few days and then went to my PCP. I had started feeling abit better but was still having lose stool although not the watery D. He said if you’re improving, let’s give it a few more days. Well two days later, I was not feeling right so I called and he ordered every stool test possible.
Everything was normal except for my PRC which was positive for toxegenic C diff. Antigen positive negative for toxins. This is where it gets strange. I assumed I didn’t have it because it was negative for toxins. My doc assured me with my symptoms and the postive antigen test that I was indeed postive and could just have a small amount of toxins that didn’t register or it was a false negative. They were two different tests. After reading about it, I agreed. He prescribed vancomycin.
I decided to try to wait it out because of my sever drug allergies. I was terrified to take anything. I tried massive probiotics and even had the D stop for a day. Well last night I had a massive set back and started the vancomycin. I am sure glad it did because I felt awful. I have taken my second dose now and my D has stopped. I’m having stomach cramping still but I am so glad the D has stopped. I have children and have been religious about bleaching my bathroom and keeping them out of mine. It’s still scary. Although I’m incredibly proud of myself for taking the meds. That is a huge deal for me.

My questions are:

Has anyone had a postive antigen year but negativity toxin test? I’ve heard that means you are just a carrier but I know I have c diff.

How long after taking vancomycin are you considered no longer contagious?

I’ve noticed food intolerances already. Dairy sends me to the bathroom. From what I’ve read this is normal. Has anyone had this go away? I LOVE cheese!

Vancomycin has seemed to give me a headache. Is Tash normal? I am not having any other side effects except for the cramping and the headaches.

I also wanted to express my gratitude for this site. I don’t know where I would have found the courage to take the medicine without all of you.

I would ask my PCP but he is on vacation for a week! Lucky! I haven’t left my bed in weeks!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: No antibiotics or hospital visit prior to diag.

Postby beth22 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:21 am

Hi StephN and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for general information for new posters.

I'm sorry that you got c diff, especially without having taken antibiotics or been to a hospital, but c diff is everywhere. If you use a public restroom, stay at a hotel, etc. you can be exposed and get the spores on you. If your immune system goes down for some reason, the spores may become activate.

I am one who has a PCR positive and EIA negative for the last 2 years since getting out of the hospital. Prior to that I was testing negative on PCR. However, I only had D when that first started and just for a few days. Then it calmed down. Every once in a while, I will get a flare - but not D. Usually, pain or cramping, gas, mucus, etc. In fact, the last few days it has been like that. When I get very stressed or don't sleep much, it happens too.

I also could not tolerate dairy. I still don't eat it. I drink rice milk and don't eat yogurt anymore. I can have butter or something that has a little milk in it like mashed potatoes, but I don't drink milk. I would stay away from dairy for a while.

I remember getting a headache with c diff too. I don't know if it was from the vancomycin or getting dehydrated or just being stressed out. It went away though. Few people are allergic to oral vanco as it is supposed to stay in the GI tract and doesn't go systemic, but there have been a couple of posters who did get a rash and couldn't take it. It is rare though as far as I know.

As far as being contagious - technically you shed spores for a long time, so you should still be keeping the toilet clean, but after the D stops you really shouldn't be able to infect people just being around them. My husband never caught it from me and he shared my bathroom and bed.

Hopefully you will feel better in a few days. It takes about 3 - 4 days for the vanco to really kick in.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”