Need some opinions on antibiotic

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Wyok
Regular User

Need some opinions on antibiotic

Postby Wyok » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:52 pm

Hi. Everyone here was fantastic when I contracted cdiff 3 1/2 years ago from clindamycin. I never relapsed and have been fine since.

Now, however, I have a sinus infection with some border line bronchitis thrown in. My doc, who I love and who cured my cdiff with a round of rifaximin (her sub specialty is infectious diseases) wants to treat it with Omnicef. She swears it is low incidence for cdiff, but the list here shows otherwise. I can’t take Zpak or a couple of others in the middle of the road category because of heart palpitation issues.

Of course, she suggests taking the antibiotic with probiotics twice a day. What do you think? Have any other suggestions? Not asking anyone to prescribe, but wondering if anyone had a similar experience and what you did. Thanks.

roy
Administrator

Re: Need some opinions on antibiotic

Postby roy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:52 pm

Only you know how bad the sinus thing is (most are not bacterial).
It could be a case of antibiotics clear it in 7 days, or it goes by itself in a week!

Caution on rifaxamin.
Theres many types of c.diff and rifaximin only kills around half of them.
If you had one of the resistant strains you would have been in trouble.
Not many Drs would choose to use it.
Flagyl in no longer used as the first line drug, the ONLY recommended treatment is vanco or dificid.

Wyok
Regular User

Postby Wyok » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:09 pm

Hi Roy,
Glad to see you are still here, offering your good advice and guidance.
I have already had this thing for a week, and it’s not going away. So, I had another discussion with her about antibiotics, and we agreed on doxycycline. As you know, there have been a couple of reported trials using doxycycline to calm the potential of getting CDiff when using other antibiotics and it does look like it has a somewhat protective effect.
I know what you are saying about rifaximin is true, but she based her decision on my history, the fact that I had a relatively mild case, and her own knowledge of infectious diseases. It was probably a bit of a gamble, but she must have felt it was worth it. In the end, who can argue with success?

Thanks for your quick reply and advice. Always appreciated.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:01 pm

You could ask for a culture to prove an antibiotic is appropriate.

I will remind you of some of your own words.
"and I think it's foolish to take an antibiotic if it isn't life or death"
Those were wise words!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:25 am

Doxycycline is what my ID said would be a good choice and I took it without a problem after c diff.

Wyok
Regular User

Postby Wyok » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi Roy and Beth,
Roy, got me with my own words. I do truly still believe that. Did not think of asking for a culture. However, I did decide to fill the scrip but hold off taking it for a couple more days. And last night, I think I sort of turned a corner, so I am in wait-and-see mode. Beth, thanks for your reply - glad you are still on these boards. Very relieving to know that doxy was fine for you. Thx.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”