C DIFF RECOVERY- OPINIONS!!

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lila30
Contributor

C DIFF RECOVERY- OPINIONS!!

Postby lila30 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm a 30 yr old female. May 9th I went to the doctor for a sinus infection. My doctor prescribed me amoxicillon 500mg twice a day. I had one more day left on the antibiotic and I woke up at midnight throwing up and had really really bad D at the same time. I went to the emergency room. believed it was food poisoning, only because for dinner I ate boiled crab and boiled crawfish and four hours later all this was happening. So that's what i told the doctors. they gave me IV with fluids and pain for nausea and i went home. The next day June 17th 2018 I still had watery D, I was still throwing up but just water. I was doing my best to stay hydrated. I felt like I was about to pass out. I went back to ER and they put me on IV fluids and cipro antibiotic and temp was 103.0. They rushed me to the hospital and my temp went down drastically by time I got there. I was thanking God so much. I stayed at the hospital for 4 days. they went by my word thinking it was food poisoning and they just put me on flagy twice a day until I got out of the hospital. white blood count cell was LOW. I started feeling better after 2 weeks. I got back to my normal eating, pizza, pasta, sandwiches, etc.. and I didn't have D. June 19th, by this time I started noticing constipation and a lot of bloating and gas. I just thought it was normal as my stomach was getting back to normal from the seafood poisoning. That night I had a cesar salad and Alfredo pasta no meat. Later that night I threw up and had D. I told my husband not again. June 21st I went to a GI doctor and he did a stool sample for c.diff. Over the weekend I researched c diff and what it was. I was freaking out how serious this disease is. I've been healthy all my life and now I have a disease. June 25th my birthday, I called for my results, and it was c. diff positive and I cried. Doctor put me on vancomycin 125mg 4 times a day for 14 days. I was freaking out because I heard of VRE. but what keeps me going is Jesus. praying to him and thinking positive. I asked my doctor questions after questions. and he assures me I'm going to get better and this will kill the bacteria. I'm on day 2 on vancomycin and D has stopped, I still get nauseated here and there, I still have stomach cramps because of gas. I've been eating a lot of saltine crackers, bananas, chicken noodle soup, and a lot of water and sometimes Gatorade. I found this forum yesterday and I have been educating myself on this horrible disease. I've read a lot people relapsing. I'm praying and praying that I won't and this will be the cure of it. As I've been taking vancomycin I've noticed I'm more blah, like lethargic and not having as much energy as I did before I was on the medication. has anyone else noticed that? I'm not taking any probiotics yet because my GI doctor wanted me to wait till next week. what are some good probiotics I can ask my doctor to take that will go ok with vancomycin? And any advise from anyone?
Last edited by lila30 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

roy
Administrator

Re: C DIFF RECOVERY- OPINIONS!!

Postby roy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:14 pm

I have deleted your duplicates posts.
Please stick to one thread and dont duplicate posts.
You will get your answers here.
One more tip, make your posts shorter, it's hard to read a very long post without punctuation and people might just skip past it.

To recap, you had a sinus bug, were treated for it with amoxy, probably got food poisoning (vomiting is rarely a c.diff symptom) ended up on a low dose of flagyl and then on to cipro!
That lot would make you a prime candidate for c.diff.
To put your mind at rest though c.diff is not that unusual and what you read online is worse case scenarios.
The half million others who get it each year and just get well quickly dont post about it!
Your on treatment and responding well so dont worry too much.
As for feeling "blah". your not well and swallowing chemicals (meds) so it's not surprising your body is instructing you to rest.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:22 pm

Thank you roy, I shortened it as much as I could. and thank you for the advice =)

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:26 am

Hey lila,

Dont brake your head reading the horror stories, people die of flu as well.
I had cdiff post childbirth and I've been negative ever since but it has left me with ibs, like many others. So don't be surprised for occasional indigestion, it takes time for things to normalize, sometimes even years.
The thing is, its not an easy disease, but its not cancer and most people get through it.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:11 am

Medina,
Thank you for those encouraging words. =)
I'm so happy for you that you've been negative and free!
Were you ever on probiotics after treatment?
I've been doing good so far on treatment, tomorrow will be one week. I just get really nauseated. =(

Silviaxo
Regular User

Postby Silviaxo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:59 am

If you have a nugget near you I personally recommend getting the probiotic kefir water tea!! It has 45 good bacteria strains!! It's called the living apothecary.. it has helped me and they have different flavors.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”