Acid reflux post 5 months

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Terpa
Regular User

Acid reflux post 5 months

Postby Terpa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:19 am

Female, 24. 5 months post cdiff healed. 1 round of flagyl. . So within the last 3 days I’ve experienced AWFUL from hell heart burn and throat burning. It’s not just at night it’s ALL thru out the day too that I experience it. So that being said. I remember when I first came down with cdiff I had THESE SAME SYMPTOMS. So I’m scared that I may have reinfected myself. Has anybody experienced either of these situations before? How likely is it that we’re carriers for it at that time also?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Acid reflux post 5 months

Postby AllisS » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:26 pm

Hi Terpa. Not sure what you mean by your last sentence "carriers for it at that time also"; are you referring to C. diff or acid reflux? I assume the latter. There is no causal relationship between reflux and C. diff. That you had both conditions at the same time in the past had to have been a coincidence. That said, if the reflux doesn't subside after another week or so and doesn't respond to measures such as taking an antacid, e.g., Mylanta, or an OTC such as Zantac, you should see a GI doctor.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

cdiff454
Regular User

Postby cdiff454 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:21 am

YESSS!!!!!! It's been almost a year since I had my last c diff recurrence (thank you dificid!). I've never once in my life (38yo) had acid reflux or heartburn or any stomach problems, however as I was on my dificid script I noted some weird burning in my throat. Then I developed a huge intolerance to alcohol. Even two glasses of wine would cause me to vomit profusely the next morning and my stomach would be wrecked all day. This never went away. Then it progressed to me waking up in the morning and hacking/gagging and sometimes vomiting for no reason. This was a daily occurrence for several months. Naturally I went to GI doc....they did upper endoscopy and confirmed duodenitis, gastritis, barrett's esophagus. Went on Ranitidine and that really helped symptoms to the point they completely went away.

Been on it ever since. My GI doc was convinced that the upset in gut flora was causing excess acid. As a test two weeks ago, I took about a week off the ranitidine to see whether I still had the problem. Holy cow all my symptoms came back with a vengeance. I can't even eat a full meal without feeling like I'm going to vomit! Alcohol is a major trigger still. So I'm back on the ranitidine but symptoms haven't gone away like they did last time. It's no fun lol.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:53 pm

I take it twice a day and it works well on my acid reflux plus it has less of a possible link to C. Diff. I supplement it with Mylanta if I have bad acid reflux (although I try to avoid triggers). Unfortunately, alcoholic drinks, acidic (citrus, etc) and spicy food will still cause reflux (at least they do with me).

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”