Introduction- C. Diff postpartum

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Hek725
Brand New Poster

Introduction- C. Diff postpartum

Postby Hek725 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this group and happy to find a support system for c. diff. I’m a 32 year old woman.

After a difficult pregnancy with nine months of morning sickness and a 39 hour induction, I gave birth to my daughter. When she was 9 days old, I was sent to the ER and diagnosed with a kidney infection. I was given Rocephin and Keflex. They also did a blood culture, which came back positive for sepsis (e. Coli) a few days later and I was told to stop Keflex and start Augmentin. I also had follow up shots of Rocephin. About a week after finishing the Augmentin, I started having c. diff symptoms, tested positive,and started Flagyl. I couldn’t tolerate it, so I switched to Vancomycin and cleared a stool test after finishing it. I relapsed this weekend, about 10 days after finishing the Vancomycin. Now I’m on a 6 week taper of Vancomycin and really hoping I can get over this. It’s been a postpartum nightmare.

I realize now that my doctor had me restest way too soon. She’s have me wait 2 weeks after finishing my taper this time, which is when I’m supposed to return from maternity leave. I’m sorry you all have had to deal with this, too.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Introduction- C. Diff postpartum

Postby Ril » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:22 am

Hello Hek and welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting.
Congratulations on your new baby but sorry you for going through getting c diff.
Let me say, in case you haven’t done much research or read many posts or sections of this site, your dr should not be testing at all for cure. It leads to overtreating. It is advised that you are evaluated for a recurrence based on symptoms. You should not have to retest again to be cleared to return to work. If you are free of symptoms you should be fine. Many people will test positive but have no c diff toxins and don’t have symptoms so require no treatment. The patient gets treated, not the test- no symptoms, no test.

If you are not seeing a GI dr, my advice would be to make an appt to follow up with one who is more familiar with c diff.

There is much good information on this site. I think you would find it helpful to take the time to read through some it.

Best of luck to you,
Rita

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:36 am

Hi!
Congratulations on your daughter!
I also had cdiff postpartum.
My story was they left a part of placenta in my uterus, it all got infected, the obgyn gave me a wide spectrum antibiotics instead of specific and after a week of that diarrhea started.
I waited two weeks to see a dr, after which he gave me metronidazole without testing me for cdiff. That helped me, but I saw another gi who tested me for cdiff and told me there's a chance of relapse. I then consulted dr Google which freaked me out further. Being postpartum, exhausted and very hormonal I jumped at the first diarrhea a week after finishing metronidazole, went to er and got vancomycin for three weeks. My gi told me the pcr test on that day was negative and he wouldn't have me started on vancomycin, have I waited and came to him instead of the er. Now, was it false negative due to early testing or not, I don't know. When I finished vancomycin again I had a yellow d episode with m and blood, and I panicked and actually travelled to germany and had a colonoscopy done. The biopsy was taken, stool sample as well and the findings were there is no colitis and cdiff negative. So basically, I've probably been experiencing post infectious ibs and panicked myself into thinking I've relapsed. I've always had the guts of steel and this all was something I've never experienced before in my lifetime.
Why am I telling you this?
You have a small baby in your care, the hormone changes themself are hard to deal with and not to mention there is no sleep.
You need to not Google relapses and horror stories.
If you should have watery d three times daily for 3 or more days, or mucous and blood after you finish your treatment, go and return to your gi for testing. Or if you are extremely unwell ofcourse.
Otherwise, hang on and be positive. This will pass. Expect ibs issues for a while, they are quite common in recovery.
Culturelle and vivamix probiotics alongside kefir and actimel helped me a lot, maybe also psychologically lol. And saccharomyces boulardii if you're not immunocompromised.
I overdid the probiotics though which gave me additional troubles so remember to keep your balance.
And trust me you're not the only one who went through this, many others did and were not even aware in mild cases, or did not post online about it.. But it is quite common thing after antibiotics and specially with new mothers because many infants carry the bacteria in their intestines, but their population doesn't develop illness because they lack the toxine receptors.
So, keep your head up and be sure you will get through this in time!

Hek725
Brand New Poster

Postby Hek725 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:18 am

Thank you Medena! It’s nice to hear from someone on the other side of it. I finally got a GI referral and go Monday. I’m down to vanco 1x a day and have been experiencing some reterninf symptoms and I’m trying to “just keep swimming”. The biggest blessing in all of this has been my sweet baby. She’s has the sunniest disposition and is so easy. And I’m doing my best to keep up with what I can. I started working out again after getting cleared at my 6 week appointment and it’s helping my stress levels a lot.

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:51 am

Hi
My gi once told me when I was desperate and sad, "cdiff is not cancer. There are ways to treat and manage it. Relax."
Let's be fortunate and grateful for that :)

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”