Testing and questions

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Bel61
New User

Testing and questions

Postby Bel61 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:06 pm

I am not sure where to post this but hope this is the right place. I posted in the Free form about post fmt possible pancreatitis but I would now like to know about what test to ask for for a c diff test. I tested toxin positive 11 days after fmt but the doc did not want to treat as she said I could test positive for awhile. Now since I am having severe intestinal cramps all day every day with severe nausea my pcp would like me to test. I do not have diarrhea right now, had diarrhea one time yesterday after a formed movement and have had one formed movement today. My stool is still green and I don't know what that might mean. I took 1 pepto tablet yesterday after the diarrhea and a half tablet today. I didn't take pepto for 4 days as I got really constipated. If I do test positive, in your opinion should I treat because of the severe pain and nausea or wait it out? I sometimes think this is severe ibs and possibly sibo as I had mild ibs and possible sibo prior to c diff diagnosis. I wish I had not started treatment then as I did not have typical symptoms, but hindsight is 20/20. I did not know enough about treatment then and it made the c diff worse after I started the antibiotic which was flagyl. Didn't finish it because of side effects then was on Vanco for 2 months, then fmt.
The pain is bad and really doesn't let up much except in the morning for a little while, then it starts as soon as I start drinking fluid. Then the nausea starts and that lasts most of the day even though I have been taking anti-nausea meds.I have to force myself to eat.
How would you really know if you have severe ibs or if this is the c diff, especially if you test positive. I feel as bad as I did with the active c diff except for no diarrhea at this time. I did not have the typical diarrhea the first time either.
I am going to ask the doctor to order a sibo breath test on line as no one does that around here. Any advice would be welcome especially about the c diff test. I just don't know what to do at this point.
I did get a referral to the infectious disease docs but don't know if they will see me without the positive c diff test. I really wanted to have a consult with them to see what the next plan would be if I realapsed. I know I am being paranoid but this darned infection makes you crazy and I am tired of feeling so sick as are all of you who post on here. I pray we all start feeling better soon. Sorry for the long post.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Testing and questions

Postby beth22 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:37 pm

The hospital lab that tests me does a PCR and if it is positive, they follow up with an EIA. If the EIA is negative, it is considered a negative test. If you continue to have symptoms ask to be tested for other pathogens with a stool culture. It is rare, but it is possible to pick p a different but through FMT.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”