Unsure about future

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
kcarr12
Brand New Poster

Unsure about future

Postby kcarr12 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:42 am

I've had, or presumably had, IBS all of my adult life (now 33 yr. old). Aside from once being on a prescription for diarrhea, I would often take Imodium or more recently activated charcoal in order to get through daily life.

March of this year I wound up in the hospital with horrible stomach pains and bloody diarrhea after a trip to Mexico. They pumped me full of different IV antibiotics before getting all test results back since I was so sick and it was likely I had some type of infection. It ended up being Shigella, and when I was released from the hospital I had to take a few more doses of Cipro.

I slowly started feeling better, but about a week and a half later, I started feeling worse again. Diarrhea was back, though this time not bloody. I stopped at urgent care one night after work and lucky for me the doctor I saw was very thorough (mostly because he saw how sick I'd been) and ordered several tests. One test being the stool sample that resulted in my diagnosis of C diff. I was initially put on metronidazole. Shortly after I'd finished that I saw my regular doctor who decided to put me on vancomycin without further testing since I said the diarrhea was coming back.

At that point I was really feeling closer to my normal. Then a little over a week after finishing the vancomycin, the D was back along with a fever. I initially was just going to see if my doctor would refill the prescription, but I got so sick and weak just a few hours after all the symptoms came back that I ended up in the ER again. The stool sample once again showed C diff, so now I'm on vancomycin again and doing a taper over the next two months.

I know you shouldn't take Imodium when you have C diff, and I'm assuming activated charcoal is a no no as well (and probably was never a smart idea to take in the first place since it probably messes with gut flora), so I haven't taken them at all since my trip. However, I'm going to be a bridesmaid in my brother's wedding and a lot of stuff is coming up (showers, bachlorette party, wedding which is actually a four day excursion) shortly after I finish my taper of vanco. Normally I would rely on Imodium/activated charcoal to get through it all, but now I'm nervous I could do myself more harm if this round of antibiotics doesn't work.

What would happen if I did take Imodium/activated charcoal with an active C diff infection? Is it possible taking these could cause a recurrence?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Unsure about future

Postby beth22 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:48 am

Hi kcarr12 and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum with information for new posters.

Imodium is usually not advised when you have c difficile, but check with your doctor. I took Pepto Bismol and had no problems with it. There is also cholestyromine, which is a powder, originally used for high choleterol. It binds up toxins and carries them out and also firms up stools. It has been given to c diff patients. Ask your doctor about it. Questran is the brand name. There is also another product called EnteraGam that is for IBS-D and people have posted that it has helped. Both Questran and EnteraGam need a Rx, so you have to run this by your doctor. I would also speak to the doctor about your concerns with the wedding, showers, etc. I traveled to Mexico after my first relapse with c diff and I did okay, but I was on vanco at the time. However, for a long time, whenever I would travel, I always had vanco and Pepto with me "just in case." Perhaps your doctor would give you a prescription to fill in case you run into problems.

roy
Administrator

Re: Unsure about future

Postby roy » Thu May 31, 2018 4:54 am

Imodium slows motility and the toxin remains in your body longer.
It stops the natural reaction the body uses to expel the toxin. (nature knows best!)
That can result in toxic megacolon, sepsis, and surgery to save your life.
Some Drs might say go ahead and use it if you push them for an answer but it's not worth the risk.
Simple c.diff is nasty but not deadly, it's the secondary complications that cause problems.
Anti motility drugs are recognized as greatly increasing the likelihood of secondary complications.
Beth has made some good suggestions.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”