bad cold

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

bad cold

Postby AnxiousJ » Wed May 30, 2018 9:43 pm

Hello,

I tested negative 2 years ago and so far I have been okay. I had my gallbladder removed in May 2017 due to stones and survived one dose of IV Cephlasporin with lots of continued probiotics. I've had a couple of colds here and there but this one has lasted a week and now I have post nasal drip and a slight wheeze when I take a deep breath and cough. No fever and it's really not too bad but I am getting nervous. I've been taking Sudafed and Allegra, nasal saline, humidifier, garlic, Vitamin D and probiotics. I will see my pcp tomorrow am as her office was closed today. Is there a possibility it could be viral with a slight wheeze? Any suggestions? I of course want to do everything and I can to prevent taking antibiotics. We're going out of town next Wed. is it possible this could still be viral?

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Re: bad cold

Postby OCmama » Wed May 30, 2018 11:27 pm

I had pneumonia at 13 months post C. diff. I held off on treating with antibiotics per my medical team’s directions, it ended up being viral pneumonia and I treated with albuterol, fluids and lots of rest.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:51 am

It is very possible that what you have is viral. Tell your doctor about your c diff history and that you don't want to take antibiotics unless it is a proven bacterial infection. Wheezing can be viral too as far as I know.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Thu May 31, 2018 7:35 am

Thank you both! Yes, my doctor definitely knows. I knew about you OCmama and that's great news that it was viral. I am coughing up a little yellowish phelghm but I don't hear or feel the wheezing this am and actually feel a little better. Still seeing her this morning though.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Thu May 31, 2018 6:15 pm

I saw my PCP this morning. While she does think it is viral for now, she gave me a sample inhaler of Symbiocort for the mild wheezing. She'd like me to use it for a week along with continuing Allegra and Sudafed. She was also a little concerned that I will be flying out of town for a trip with my family next Wed and suggested that I fill a prescription for an antibiotic to have on hand in case it worsens. When I expressed great concern over that, she then suggested filling a prescription for a small pack of Methylprednisolone to have on hand only if I need it. I told her that I read that I read that some oral steroids can cause recurrance but she said that while it can lower the immune system for long courses, a short tapering course should not affect the gut and was a better option. I hesitantly said okay and did fill it. I also called my GI and asked the pharmacist and they both seemed to agree that it should be safe if I need it. I hope that is in fact true. I am going to double up on my Florastor and take Bio K just to cover my bases. I understand taking an inhaler but I was confused by Symbiocort because when I read about it, it stated that it's used for COPD and asthma. The pharmacist said it is not uncommon to use it for this. Any feedback or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:46 am

They do give inhalers for viral infections. My daughter and SIL have both used them. The steroid can cause D. So, if you use it and get D, don't assume that it is c difficile.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:22 am

Your "symptoms" are mild and improving daily.
MILLIONS of people will have those minor cold symptoms today and not go to the Drs.
There's more chance of picking up a bug in the waiting room than getting a "cure" for a cold.
A UK Dr would have told you to go home and tough it out.
He might even direct your attention to the large poster on every surgery wall that says you wont get treated for a cold.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:32 am

Agree with UK advice. See CDI - infections. Rest, relax, drink lots of fluid.

You will be fine.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:00 pm

Thank you Beth, Roy & Bobbie! I do agree that it's a URI, these are relatively mild symptoms and I am showing some improvement. I do agree that is probably viral (although it has been 10 days today). I think my pcp's rationale for me taking a steroid inhaler for now is that I have a slight wheeze and she didn't want it to turn into something as I will be traveling by plane on Wed. I am resting, drinking a lot of water and hot tea and am feeling a little better. It's mostly at night. My game plan is to continue with the Allegra, Sudafed and Symbiocort inhaler (at least for the next few days), continue taking Florastor, VSL and Vitamin D and take some naps. I am so thankful that I can share concerns and get sound advice from "veterans" who are keenly aware of my situation. Thank you so much for that.
Last edited by AnxiousJ on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Naps are the best part!

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:50 pm

True!

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:40 pm

So, I have been taking the Symbiocort inhaler since Thursday and it does seem to help so far. However, I have had loose or D once or twice a day. I emailed my GI and will call tomorrow and I've called about 4 different nearby pharmacists. I did find one site that said it can cause diarrhea in people but all of the pharmacists I've spoken to said it shouldn't and it shouldn't cause any recurrance. One pharmacist I spoke with was perplexed that my pcp gave me Symbiocort instead of Albuterol. Regardless, I may call the ID's office tomorrow and ask his nurse. I had loose twice today and one formed but very soft. Yesterday, and Friday D once a day. Those who've taken inhalers please let me know if you had any reaction like this. I would certainly prefer an inhaler to an antibiotic prescription but I want to be safe and not panic. I had/ have an uri and I have some mild wheezing at night.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:06 am

I've only used inhalers a few times. Despite my lack of direct experience with them, I can assure you that their use would NOT cause a recurrence of C. diff.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:10 am

Thank you, AllisS. I certainly hope so. I took the Symbiocort on Thursday, skipped Friday and then on Sat and I have had loose stools 1-2x day since Friday. I read that the inhaler can cause stomach upset in some people but I'm surprised it's Tuesday and I've already gone twice (formed but very soft). I do not think this is it but I wonder if it is related. I am stopping the Symbiocort for now bc my URI has improved.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”