Recovery Timeline - Nausea

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
demar4
Brand New Poster

Recovery Timeline - Nausea

Postby demar4 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:47 pm

Hi everyone,

Background: I'm a 28 year old male, fairly health (although always had some stomach acid issues) the stomach issues came back about 3 months ago (might be from stress, diet, and h pylori), went on a 2 week course of PPI,flagyl and tetracycline antibiotic treatment for two weeks. About a few days after the treatment, developed some irregular BM, started with C for a few days - was prescribed some laxatives for a week. About a few days after that, BM got even worse and tested positive for C Diff and started this fun phase of my life.
Took the regular 10 day treatment of flagyl - the treatment itself wasn't fun, nausea was the worst part. Anyways, finished the treatment, the nausea stuck around for a few days but things were in the clear for about a week, during this time BM were improving (I was even able to do some running). And then the nausea came back about 8 - 9 days post treatment, alongside the irregular BM. I thought it might have been some stuff that I ate that triggered the mini relapse (had some fatty foods the night before / decaf coffee the morning of the relapse).
Did another test for C DIFF - came back negative (so that's the good news!).
The doctor said it just may be some leftover bacteria in my body but not active.
I have been on probiotics, kefir, bland diet since then.
My worry right now is how long does it usually take for these post c-diff symptoms to clear up? It's been about 3 weeks after the treatment and the nausea / irregular BM (though no D) are still continuing. Nausea worst in the morning / at night, would often have to get up around 3 - 5 am for a BM or two. I know and definitely sympathize with other users on this site who's been struggling with this thing for months / years, but it would be great to hear from people's experiences about what their recovery journey looks like! From what I've been reading, it sounds like it'll take a few months for your colon to completely recovery, is that the same for nausea as well?

Thank you in advance!!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recovery Timeline - Nausea

Postby AllisS » Wed May 30, 2018 1:26 am

Hi and welcome to the site. When you have a chance, please take a look at our guidelines for new posters, first entry on the intro page.

After C. diff, many people have what's known as post-infectious IBS; nausea is a common symptom of IBS. The duration of the IBS varies; it may persist for quite awhile, though it's likely to lessen in severity. You didn't mention the amount of probiotics you're taking; keep in mind that probiotics themselves can cause GI symptoms, so it's best to add them gradually and to not overdo.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:52 am

I had terrible nausea, first from the flagyl and the c-diff, but then it continued into recovery. My mornings were horrible. I had terrible nausea and vomiting while pregnant, and the nausea that I had post-c diff, was just as bad. I was put on Zofran, but it didn't really help. My doctor said it was from the post-infectious IBS that I had. With time, the nausea got better. For me, time was the only healer. It took a while, but the good days started to outweigh the bad days, and then it turned into bouts. Everybody is different, but hopefully as you heal, you will start to see improvement with the nausea as well.

-Lisa

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed May 30, 2018 5:18 pm

I had a great deal of nausea throughout. Zophran helped at time, but I wore "Sea Bands" everyday which helped a great deal.
They have them at most pharmacies and drug stores, you may want to give them a try
I hope you feel better soon!
NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”