New to CDiff, ?s about Vanco and probiotics

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
sammyp
Contributor

New to CDiff, ?s about Vanco and probiotics

Postby sammyp » Thu May 24, 2018 2:41 pm

Hello all, I am a newbie here. I'm a 29 year old female, diagnosed positive CDiff on May 17th. My case is a bit odd as I actually had antibiotic resistant Ecoli strain 026 at the same time. I haven't been on any antibiotics in years. My infectious disease doctor thinks my immune system was compromised by the Ecoli and allowed CDiff to catch me while I was in the ER for fluids (I went three times in 1 week for dehydration). My symptoms we're diarrhea 15+ times a day sometimes bloody, abdominal pain, erratic heart rate, low blood pressure, no appetite, and intense fatigue and weakness. I've lost 20 pounds in three weeks between these two infections. Before all this, I was healthy with no medical issues other than PCOS and anxiety.

With both infections present, I ended up being hospitalized for four days for fluids and to start Vanco treatment while monitoring my kidneys since this strain of Ecoli can cause kidney issues fairly quickly. I'm home now, on day 7 of 14 of Vanco 125mg 4x per day. Thankfully, the diarrhea stopped on Day 3 of Vanco and I had a fairly normal stool this morning (I didn't know I could be so happy about poop!). I have follow up appointments with my infectious disease doc and a GI doc next week. In the meantime, I was hoping to hear some of your thoughts on the following questions:

1) Is there a "best choice" probiotic to take while still on Vanco?

2) Since the diarrhea is getting better, I want to start expanding my diet to put some weight back on. Any recommendations for what to start with? I've been Brat diet for three weeks now.

3) Vanco seems to have given me a really sore throat and tongue. It doesn't look like thrush. Did anyone else experience this side effect? Does it get better over time?

I really appreciate being part of this group. Sometimes I feel really alone in all this.

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Re: New to CDiff, ?s about Vanco and probiotics

Postby Lid49 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi,
People with cdiff use more vsl3 and florastor like probiotic talking quality,
Yes vanco will produce true candidiasis, ask your Dr did prescription for oral thrush. Regarding diet still be careful if you introduce new food do it slowly.
Hope you feel better.
Lidia

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Fri May 25, 2018 12:05 am

Hi! I am so sorry you are going through this!! I cannot believe you got the antibiotic resistant E. coli AND C. diff?? That is awful, was it the lettuce?

I also had a white tongue with vanco, but lots of other symptoms as well, as mentioned above you can get a mouth rise from your dr.

There is also a Facebook support group called C. diff. Support, it’s a closed group but a woman named Lisa runs it and she is a sweetheart. There are unfortunately loads of other young women your age on there fighting C. diff.

I’m praying for you and you are always welcome to message me.

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Fri May 25, 2018 12:23 am

OCmama wrote:
> Hi! I am so sorry you are going through this!! I cannot believe you got the
> antibiotic resistant E. coli AND C. diff?? That is awful, was it the
> lettuce?
>
> I also had a white tongue with vanco, but lots of other symptoms as well,
> as mentioned above you can get a mouth rise from your dr.
>
> There is also a Facebook support group called C. diff. Support, it’s a
> closed group but a woman named Lisa runs it and she is a sweetheart. There
> are unfortunately loads of other young women your age on there fighting C.
> diff.
>
> I’m praying for you and you are always welcome to message me.

It actually wasn't the lettuce! I have a different strain than the national outbreak. Public Health is investigating but it looks like it was a local place - there are four of us in my area with the same strain.

It has been a surreal experience. I have never been so sick. Having both infections shut my body right down. It was scary but things are (slowly) improving.

I asked to join the Facebook group a few days ago but it says my request is still pending. Does it usually take some time for her to accept new members?

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Fri May 25, 2018 1:53 am

It takes a little bit, if you message me your name I can message her and let her know

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”