Gas and loose stool at the end of Vanco (second occurrence)

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Shel33
New User

Gas and loose stool at the end of Vanco (second occurrence)

Postby Shel33 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:27 pm

Hello!

I am a 36 year old woman on my second diagnosis of C-diff within the last month. I ended up with C-diff because I received Clindomycin both via IV and orally for cellulitis from a spider bite about a month earlier. I was first given flagyl (which I later discovered is no longer recommended) for 10 days. Five days later, after trying lexapro for anxiety, my diarrhea came back. A few days later my symptoms were more extreme again and was tested at the ER and the C-diff had come back. They put me on vancomycin and I am finishing it today (10 day course).

My question: I am having gas and some bloating (more than before) over the last few days. It started (I believe) when I tried some juice (celery, cucumber, kale, apple mixed together) because I had been getting very few veggies. The day I drank the juice it was worse/ very painful gas. I saw a nutritionist yesterday and she said any uncooked veggies (even in juice form) could potentially cause this. Have folks experienced this or something like this..? Could the vanco also cause gas/ slight bloating? I also had some additional discomfort/ indigestion/ nausea yesterday after having an english muffin with skippy peanut butter--which I've been eating all along and had not had an issue with it. It's possible I ate a little too much at once...

Also, though my abdominal pain and diarrhea is much better in general (not watery, not going many times), my stool is still loose--like comes out formed and then falls into lots of tiny pieces and still getting a little bit of abdominal pain. I emailed my GI (who I have my first appt with in 10 days) and he said that stool can be abnormal for a while and that it wont' necessarily mean the c-diff is coming back... but that if it does come back before my appt with him, to get back on Vanco until our appointment.

Anyone else experience anything similar to these things? I think I'm nervous today because it's my last day on vanco and just hoping things just keep going in the best direction possible. Thanks so much!!! <3 Sending good vibes and healing wishes for you all.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Gas and loose stool at the end of Vanco (second occurrence)

Postby beth22 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:09 pm

When I would take vanco, the first few days it would help with the D and the stools would firm up, but then they got looser and looser. Vanco always gave me gas and often cramping. See how you feel once you are off the vanco. I could not tolerate juices except for cranberry and now raw fruit or vegetables either.

Shel33
New User

Postby Shel33 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Thank you so much beth22!! This is comforting to hear!! Are you recovered from the c-diff itself and now dealing with the after effects? Sending wishes of health and recovery your way.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat May 19, 2018 9:26 pm

I too got c diff from clindamycin for a bug bite a was treated with Flagyl then cured with vanco. I suffered for a very long time with PI IBS and could not eat raw veggies in any form for a VERY long time.....I had many food intolerances but those were the absolute worst. In general, we call our BMs after c diff a “new norm” as it takes quite a while for the old normalcy to resume even when not influenced by food. Bottom line....I wouldn’t worry!

I have been c diff free for several years.

Rita

Shel33
New User

Postby Shel33 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:11 am

Thank you so much Rita!! This is super helpful to hear!! If you don’t mind if I ask, how long did it take for you to get back to normal?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:27 pm

In terms of being able to eat what I used to, it never was the same. But, I had relapse after relapse and was on a lot of vanco over and over again. I wound up having FMT. Most people recover and do well.

Shel33
New User

Postby Shel33 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Thanks Beth. So sorry to hear of the difficulties you've had.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”