Quadrapledic with C Diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Racnmasn
Brand New Poster

Quadrapledic with C Diff

Postby Racnmasn » Fri May 18, 2018 10:58 pm

Hi all,
I am a quadrapledic with C diff, when i was in the hospital i recieved vancomiacin IV for a Uti which destroyed my gut flora! When they released me they gave me vancomiacin orally. After that i was not cured of C diff because symptoms stayed the same and went to my primary doctor! I told him what happened and he would not test me if i still had it and told me to take probiotics and metamucil. Second visit because symptom stayed the same,he reffered me to GI doctor who told me i nedded Fecal Transplant and i agreed! Had Fecal Transplant and systems stayed the same. Which is extreme bloating and gas unable to lay down or sleep, nausiea, diarria! I have quadraplgia which causes paralyzed bowls which is very slow bowls and constipation.

I had FMT and nothing has changed still very sick! Having constipation now with C Diff and wondering whats going on? My primary doctor and GI doctor won’t test and say I am a C Diff carrier! After FMT i called GI doctor because of horrfic systems stayed the same and he wanted to know about first bowl movement and i said first bowl movement was somewhat formed, medium consistence and he said great your cured! But i told him diarria is contuning now and he said take some metamucel! I went to my primary dooctor because im still suffering and asked for more vancomycin orally and he said you had FMT and that is the last thing for C Diff! He Would not prescribe me any vancomyacin orally! My GI doctor isn’t respoding much either! What is my prognosis im very scared!!! :( i just learned about this forum and its great! Now im having constipation and horrifc gas, bloating, and nausea! Which is same systems i have been having diarrea now constipation! So tired and exhausted i can barely finish post.

Thank you
Mason (Racnmasn)

Racnmasn
Brand New Poster

Re: Quadrapledic with C Diff

Postby Racnmasn » Fri May 18, 2018 11:16 pm

Reading this forum and how doctors are treating me, I think I have severe case of C Diff and not much can be done! I’m pretty sure I need laxatives so I don’t suffer from toxic colon! Any help would be appreciated! :) so scared doctors won’t prescribe me oral viacomyacin! Took Metamucil today and I am suffering from sever bloating and cramps!

Thank you
Mason

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat May 19, 2018 12:28 am

Mason, sorry you're feeling so anxious. C. diff is challenging enough without having to contend with quadraplegia as well. However, this isn't a medical site; it's only a support site. You need to pose these questions to your doctor and not presuppose that oral vanco is what you need. Meanwhile, the laxatives don't sound like a good idea at all. They aren't going to prevent toxic megacolon, which is a very rare complication of C. diff in the first place, and they are going to aggravate diarrhea and other GI symptoms. Metamucil is a fiber supplement that typically will cause bloating/cramps/gas if you're not accustomed to it. Though it's OTC you should ask the doctor if it's indicated for your symptoms. And if you do take it, make sure you drink a full glass of water or another beverage along with it.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat May 19, 2018 5:15 am

We can not give medical advice but I can tell you a few facts.
Anything is possible but IV vanco is not implicated in causing c.diff.
The molecular size of IV Vanco is too big for it to cross into the colon and it is passes from the body in urine.
Because it does not go into the colon it can not have any effect on the gut bacteria and does not cause c.diff.
Your Dr is probably correct and your colonised with c.diff and that's just another form of normal (whatever that is!)

If someones severely constipated the body has a defence mechanism, the impacted stool causes a blockage so the body allows the backed up stool being the blockage to remain liquid.
This can then pass around the blockage and comes out as D.
Typical IBS.
Hopefully once you manage to regulate your BMs your "symptoms" will resolve.
Anything is possible but it's VERY unlikely that c.diff is causing your current problems.

Racnmasn
Brand New Poster

Postby Racnmasn » Sat May 19, 2018 10:24 pm

Any laxatives to help constipation? And clean you colon out?

Thanks
Mason

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”