Upper stomach pain

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
LT428
New User

Upper stomach pain

Postby LT428 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:51 am

Hello everyone,

Hope all is well. I’m 5 months post second round of Vancomycin. Everyday is still a struggle for me. Ever since c-diff, I have this upper stomach pain (epigastric area). Sometimes it’s better with a bowel movement, sometimes it’s not. This pain has been around ever since the initial infection. I’ve been to two different GI doctors and they both say it’s IBS related. All they can do is prescribe me antacids like pepcid, none of which helps. My BM is formed, but not where it was pre-cdiff. I go once a day with all sorts of texture except for the D. I was wondering if anyone deal with this stomach pain with recovery? I’m 8 weeks pregnant, so I’m limited to medications. This infection has been debilitating and is causing miseries for almost a year. I’m in need of some answers to get through a healthy pregnancy. Could it be that I’m still active?

LT428

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Upper stomach pain

Postby Lisa33 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:27 pm

It doesn't sound like you are still active to me since you don't have the copious D anymore. Stomach pain can be from a number of reasons, including IBS. I was tested for H Pylori and eventually had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done (3 years after c-diff). Nothing came up and I was diagnosed with PI-IBS.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon May 07, 2018 1:17 pm

Pepcid belongs to a class of drugs known as H2 blockers; Zantac is another such drug. It's not an antacid; Maalox, e.g., is an antacid. Perhaps the stomach pain will improve after the baby is born; hope so.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon May 07, 2018 6:06 pm

When I was pregnant with my daughter I had a lot of acid reflux and that was before c diff. I used Maalox and tums but your drs are also telling you that you can use Pepcid which is a longer acting med, not something to use just during an attack.

PI IBS is also very common after c diff and can last a long time. Unfortunately I have had it for a long time but if you do have it, it doesn’t sound as though it is a very bad case. It sounds as though this is just all part of recovery and your pregnancy might just exacerbate some GI symptoms.

I agree with the others. I don’t think you have c diff at all and would just stick with what you are doing for the symptoms and see what happens after the baby is born.
Best of luck with the new baby!

Rita

LT428
New User

Postby LT428 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Hello everyone,

It has been over a month since this last post and I wanted to give an update. Thank you for the replies. I’ve been feeling okay. However, in the last couple of days, my bowel movement and pain has gotten worse. I went 3x today and all were really grainy and breaks apart (sorry, TMI). It’s not WD, but I’m nervous that I may have reinfected myself. I haven’t been like this for 6 months. The cramping, consistency, and color are bothering me. No fever, but I feel it in my gut that this is back. My last dose of Vanco was in 12/1/17. Unfortunately, it’s the holiday weekend and I can’t get a hold of my doctors.

At this point, Idk what to do. I can’t go to the ER b/c I don’t have the WD. I’ve been tested positive with formed stool in the past. This will be my 4th relapse or maybe 1st reinfection. At this point, should I wait a couple of days and call the GI on Tuesday? I’m afraid it will be too late by then and I’m putting my unborn child in danger. I’m not seeking for medical advice, just seeing if anyone has ever delt with a reinfection after 6 months.

Thank you!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”