Vanco Low WBC/ANC

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Meshell
New User

Vanco Low WBC/ANC

Postby Meshell » Thu May 03, 2018 11:33 am

I'm on day 20 of a 28 day course of Invanz for suspected acute osteomyelitus, and 250mg Oral Vanco 2x daily to keep the c diff at bay. So far so good. Mri came back a few days ago with some inflammation but no signs of infection. Biopsy came back as Chronic inflammation of the bone but all of the bone was viable, no necrotic bone was found. We are all assuming this means that we caught it early! I do absolutely hate this PICC and it bleeds non-stop. Everyone says, "this is your normal", and then thye follow-with I have never see a picc blee/ooze this long before. UGH. My only other issues currently which is why I am making this public post is trouble with low white blood cell and neutrophil counts. WBC 4 - ANC 1.42 -- Every week they keep getting lower and lower. I did some research and it appears that Vanco can cause the low WBC and Neutrophil count. However, I can't determine if this is IV or oral? Do you have any insight into this? ID Doc is not concerned and GI doc say Oral Vanco won't do this.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vanco Low WBC/ANC

Postby NanciT » Thu May 03, 2018 7:10 pm

I would suggest taking to your pharmacist who can give you the exact information on the drug insert. When reading online, often various sites will leave alot out. The pharmacist is the real expert.
I do hope this all works out and you are feeling better soon!
NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”