Ranitidine

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Vix65
Brand New Poster

Ranitidine

Postby Vix65 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:35 am

Hi everyone

I’m new here! I suffered from severe c diff 5 years ago and have managed to avoid antibiotics since then with the exception of nitrofruantoin which I had no problems with.

I’ve been suffering severe acid reflux recently and the GP gave me ranitidine as he said omeprazole was now linked to c diff.

I researched online and there were reports regarding both omeprazole and ranitidine so now I’m feeling a bit worried.

Anyone else take anything for reflux?

Thanks!!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Ranitidine

Postby AllisS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 am

Welcome to the site. Please read our guidelines for new posters, first entry on intro page, when you have a chance.

You're correct that some studies have found an association between PPIs such as omeprazole and C. diff. That said, a link doesn't mean causation. Ranitidine, e.g., Zantac, isn't currently implicated; however, it has a similar mechanism of action as the PPIs, albeit weaker, so a link may be found in future. There are numerous lifestyle and dietary changes that doctors recommend trying (you can do a Google search); they help some people but not others.

Severe GERD is a problem because it may cause esophageal irritation; it may also cause a pre-cancerous condition called Barrett's esophagus, though according to my GI doctor this is controversial and uncommon. The PPIs are extremely hard to get off of once you're on them (it took me several attempts to do so) because withdrawal can cause rebound GERD. Your doctor has the right idea in recommending the less powerful GERD drug. You might want to try taking it only as needed vs. regularly -- though if you find you need it regularly that won't be much help either. One very low-tech measure that I've found helpful is to chew gum. Apparently the saliva production from the chewing is responsible for reducing the discomfort.

Do you take any probiotics? Possibly probiotics can help to balance out the depletion of "good" gut bacteria caused by the PPIs and Zantac, though scientific data on probiotics are scarce so far.

Hopefully, studies that either tend to confirm or disprove the risks of PPIs and the H2 blockers such as Zantac will be undertaken, or better yet, are already in progress, so that the millions suffering from GERD can get some relief without having to worry.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:33 pm

I was on a PPI for several years until the studies showing a correlation with PPIs and c diff. Since then, I've been on Randidine without a problem.

See CDI - Acid Reflux for more hints on controlling acid reflux.

Best wishes.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:50 pm

My experience mirrors Bobbie's. I was on a PPI (Prevacid) for acid reflux for several years before I got C. Diff. It did not cause my C. Diff (my trigger was a strong antibiotic for pneumonia). I changed to Randidine also and have had no issues.
Anne

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:05 pm

I don't think the concern is so much whether PPIs directly cause C. diff but rather whether they may have an additive effect if other predisposing factors are present. For instance, I took PPIs for about 15 years, before the concerns were as widely publicized as they now are. My C. diff was triggered by clindamycin, but I'd also had day surgery for a tear-duct blockage immediately prior to the clindamycin. So these three risk factors -- PPI, wide-spectrum antibiotic, and hospital environment -- may have interacted to trigger the C. diff. Also, there was a fourth risk factor of age, with C. diff risk increasing with advancing age.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:26 am

The body's first defence is stomach acid.
Nature knows how to prevent infections!
Reduce that and the c.diff that we come into contact with on a very regular basis might survive and reach the colon.
It then sets up home and becomes part of the natural gut flora
Its kept in check by the "good flora" and does not become a disease.
A while later along comes an antibiotic that kills a lot of the good flora but c.diff is not effected by it.
The good flora that kept c.diff in check is now gone so c.diff can multiply as much as it wants and only then it becomes a disease.
I dont think a PPI "causes" c.diff but only increases the chances of asymptomatic colonization that can turn into a disease if the colon gut condition is compromised.

Treating in an attempt to eradicate asymptomatic c.diff has been proven to compromise the gut and actually create the very condition that allows c.diff to proliferate and become a disease.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:55 pm

Bottom line is you have to work with your dr to both relieve your discomfort and safeguard your health. GERD needs to be controlled and your dr understands the issues and is working with you. You have heard several experiences. I unfortunately am forced to stay on the strongest PPI as nothing else works due to another issue. We all have weigh risks vs. benefits and try to do what is best.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”