opinions on my complicate but no so complicated c diff.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Seanbc21
Brand New Poster

opinions on my complicate but no so complicated c diff.

Postby Seanbc21 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi everyone first post . 19 y/o male . healthy for the most part

So one year ago I go to my college health center for a cold. I (don't know much about antibiotics as I've take them a few times as a child for strep.)no positive bacterial infection was found. I'm prescribed 300 mg clyndamycin 3 times a day For 10 days . For a COLD. I take The meds develop some mild diarrhea. No pain . No fever . I go to the doctor at home 2 week later.C diff is negitive after a stool culture. Im prescribed a z pak and told to take probiotics. Still more diahrea with mucus ab 1-4 times a day no pain no fever. Let it go until I start to see mass amounts of mucus in stool. Test positive for c diff 4 months later . Flagyl failed . Still mucus in stools . Test positive again . Vanco 10 days . Failed . Just tested positive for a 3rd time . BUT I DONT HAVE ANY FEVER OR PAIN . I see how everyone on here is like in awful pain or going 10-14 times a day . I have very soft stools with some mucus but nothing crazy. How am I still testing positive ? Should I look into FMT?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: opinions on my complicate but no so complicated c diff.

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:26 pm

Hi and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for information for new posters.

Before looking into FMT, ask your doctor about trying Dificid. It has helped others who failed flagyl and vanco. It kills much less gut flora as it targets only the c difficile.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: opinions on my complicate but no so complicated c diff.

Postby AllisS » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:54 pm

I agree with Beth that Dificid would be worthwhile to try. It's very possible to have C. diff without pain. Fever/low-grade temperature is a common accompaniment, but not everyone who has C. diff has that symptom. It sounds as though the antibiotic for your cold was prescribed irresponsibly by a doctor. Unfortunately antibiotics continue to be prescribed inappropriately, which is one reason that C. diff is rampant. Clindamycin is the top-offending antibiotic -- it's the cause of C. diff for a very high percentage of people who post to this site. I hope you will fill out an Adverse Event form about your experience with this drug on the FDA's site, which you can access by clicking on the link below my post. It's important that patients report adverse drug experiences, as doctors can't be relied on to do so. The hope is that, after the reports reach a critical mass, FDA will start regulating this risky drug more rigorously. Best wishes for your recovery.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”