What type of doctor is best to see?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Cxa81
Brand New Poster

What type of doctor is best to see?

Postby Cxa81 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:23 pm

I’m new here. I’ve had C Diff for about 5 months (unknowingly, blew it off thinking it was related to gallbladder removal and finally got it checked out 2 months ago). 2 weeks of Flagyl failed, had an allergic reaction to Vanc, and now waiting on insurance to approve Dificid. I’ve gotten some differing opinions from the Infectious Disease doctor and my GI doctor. ID says not to use Florastor and that the Vanc couldn’t have caused my hives. GI doctor says use Florastor and the Vanc could have absolutely caused the hives so we are not going to continue that. Side note: I’ve previously had an allergic reaction to IV Vanc but ID assured me it wasn’t possible with the pill form. However, hives started a day after I started taking it.

Anyway, which type of doctor have you had the best luck with? Right now I’m going with GI since he is working on getting my meds changed and we have discussed a FMT as well. Just want to assure myself I’m making the right choice. Thanks in advance. Feeling lost with all of this and super bummed it won’t go away.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: What type of doctor is best to see?

Postby AllisS » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi Cxa81, welcome to the site. Please take a look at our guidelines for new posters, first entry on the intro page, when you have a chance.

People on the site, including me, have found both GI doctors and infectious-disease doctors to be helpful. There's no right or wrong choice; depends on which one you feel most comfortable with and/or which one seems to be providing the most helpful information. And, as you've done, no reason not to consult a doctor from both specialties -- though when you end up with contradictory information it can be confusing. Why did the ID dr advise against Florastor? It sounds as though the GI dr is less dogmatic and puts more credence in what you've told him about your prior problem with Vanco.

Though five months is a long time to have to suffer with C. diff, the vast majority of people recover. Odds are greatly in favor that you will, too.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Cxa81
Brand New Poster

Postby Cxa81 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:04 pm

Thanks for your reply! The ID doctor said that Florastor is a yeast and I should use one without yeast. I forgot the reasoning besides that but after reading some on here I’m going to start taking it again. Not sure how my GI doctor pulled some strings but a specialty pharmacy in the area is providing the Dificid at no cost to me tomorrow. I have pretty good insurance but they were dragging their feet so the pharmacy is being extra kind. Also delivering it to me on a day they aren’t open. Couldn’t be more grateful right now!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:21 pm

Another poster got hives from the pill form of vanco too, so it is possible like your doctor said.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”