Years later

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Joyce56
Brand New Poster

Years later

Postby Joyce56 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:45 pm

I am still a wreck from this demonic beast! I have not had had it for over 20 years yet I live in fear. I have not taken an antibiotic since the Vancomicin to get rid of it. I still live in fear. I have terrible GERD but am afraid to treat it. I try diet changes but not always effective. Docs tell to take antacids but I won’t. Ugh. I hate this disease. It ruined my life. Does anyone share this fear after so many years? Am I truly in the clear?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Years later

Postby AllisS » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi Joyce, welcome to the site. Please take a look at the guidelines for new posters, first entry on the intro page, when you have a chance.

While the vast majority who have had C. diff or are close to someone else who has had it are much more wary about antibiotics as a result, many have been able to take an antibiotic, when necessary, without relapse or other ill effects. I'm a case in point. I had C. diff in 2012 and found myself needing a hip replacement soon afterward. I delayed the surgery for several years, in no small part due to apprehensiveness about the antibiotic that would be administered both during and a couple of times after the surgery. After consulting with a couple of doctors including an infectious disease physician, I went ahead with the surgery but took a probiotic over a six-week period prior to it and for awhile afterward. I didn't get C. difficile.

The issue with GERD is that there have been studies indicating that PPIs may be linked to -- though not necessarily a direct cause of -- C. diff if taken long-term. I was on PPIs for 15 years but no longer take them. I do take Zantac, an H2 blocker, on occasion, as this class of drug is less powerful (so perhaps less risky) than PPIs. The dilemma is that severe GERD can lead to dangerous health conditions or damage to the esophagus. I do not think that use of antacids would pose a risk of C. difficile, though with any drug, whether prescribed or OTC, it's best to use them in moderation.

If you feel that C. diff has ruined your life 20 years out from it despite no recurrence. you may want to talk with a counselor or therapist about your level of anxiety, which must be very hard to live with.

I don't think anyone is "in the clear" from contracting C. diff, whether they've had it before or not. Unless or until an effective vaccine against it is discovered, that's the reality we have to live with.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”