Antibiotic making this worse?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ksea11
Brand New Poster

Antibiotic making this worse?

Postby Ksea11 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:44 am

Hi, I’m a 35 yo female who was diagnosed with c diff 35 days ago. Since then I’ve done multiple rounds of oral vancomycin. My symptoms have not been alleviated, however they have changed dramatically. I am still having loose stool, however there is no longer cramping and pain. While on the latest round of vanco I was experiencing continual cramping, up to 8 loose stools a day or complete constipstion. I removed myself from the vanco about 36 hours ago and I feel light years better, however I have had three loose stools today.
I’d like to know if anyone encountered vanco making them feel WORSE? I have heard that it’s typical to have loose stool after stopping antibiotics. Is this true?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Antibiotic making this worse?

Postby AllisS » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Welcome to the site, Ksea. Please take a look at our guidelines for new posters, first entry on the intro page, when you have a chance.

I was prescribed Vanco for C. diff when I had my infection in 2012. I don't have a vivid memory of side effects from it, though others on this site have posted that they found Vanco hard to tolerate. If the Vanco resolved the C. diff you should no longer be experiencing watery diarrhea. However, loose stool as you're describing could continue for awhile; many people have what's referred to as post-infectious IBS after C. diff. It sounds as though you're feeling much better overall. I'd give it another week or so. If you continue to have symptoms that you're concerned about, you should talk with your doctor.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:58 am

If you continue to have symptoms, talk to your doctor as AllisS suggested. Should you relapse, I would ask your doctor about taking Dificid. Vanco gave me looser stools too.

blue1124
Brand New Poster

Postby blue1124 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Hello, I was diagnosed with C.diff and was on intravenous Flagyl at the hospital as an inpatient. When I came home, I was given a seven day/3x's a day does of Flagyl 500mg. I have since finished the Flagyl and have been off of it for 3 days and I am still feeling terrible. I am still on the BRAT diet and the food is staying in me; but I feel so bad; weak a little nausea and my body aches. Doctor had me start taking a probiotic to help build the good bacteria back up in my body but I just can't seem to feel better. How long does it take to stop feeling the effects of Flagyl, which I hear is torture on your system?

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Postby Lid49 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi blue,
I think you should call your Dr. If you do not feel good, vancomycin it will be a better choice or deficid.
Lidia.

blue1124
Brand New Poster

Postby blue1124 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:28 am

Lid49 wrote:
> Hi blue,
> I think you should call your Dr. If you do not feel good, vancomycin it
> will be a better choice or deficid.
> Lidia.

Hi Lidia,
Thank you for your response. I have spoken to my doctor several times since my hospital stay and actually went to see them 1 time since. Honestly, I feel the C.diff is getting better; the symptoms from that are basically gone. From what I understand, the symptoms I am experiencing now are side effects of the Flagyl, which I finished this past Sunday. They put me on a probiotic to help build my digestive system up and start to replace with good bacteria. Everything I read and everything I am told tells me that the symptoms I am experiencing are lasting effects from the Flagyl. Those meds really did a number on me; made me sicker than the illness itself. Trying to get an idea on how long people on Flagyl suffered with these awful symptoms.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”