Vanco taper.. please help

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jrditusa
New User

Vanco taper.. please help

Postby Jrditusa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:23 pm

I have been off my first round of vanco for 40 days and have been having intermittent D, gas, loose stool. But I continue to not be able to eat anything besides the brat diet and tested positive on PCR. My gi who I trust said it could go either way but at this point he would recommend vanco taper and see if we could get me in a better position. I have wrestled back and forth for a week and decided to do the taper...I am so afraid I am hurting myself by doing this as my symptoms were not crazy severe,but definitely loose three times a day and affecting my life. I have been reading everyone’s post and I just didn’t know whether to take medicine or not. I would love to here from anyone who was in my situation and ended up ok. Thanks so much.

Jrditusa
New User

Re: Vanco taper.. please help

Postby Jrditusa » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:34 am

Well I’m on day 3 of vanco and now have D. I was doing better before. I’m scared I’ve given myself a relapse, is this normal starting vanco? I’m so upset with myself.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:50 pm

It's can be difficult to know if you are relapsing, that is why we always refer to your physician. We give support on this site but cannot give medical advice. It sounds like you have a trusted GI which is wonderful.
Most time they do not test post CDIFF, mine never tested but since I had vomiting with CDIFF it was always clear to me when I had a relapse.
The BIG thing is to not over treat. So often people thing they are having a relapse, that is why we always refer back to GI or ID.
If you are having D while on Vanco give your GI a call and get in to see him. If you have relapsed, you may want to talk about DIficid.
Hope you feel better soon
NanciT

Jrditusa
New User

Postby Jrditusa » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks NanciT.. I was just wondering if anyone got worse on vanco before they got better.... I’m not going a lot ( 2-3) but it is now D and wasn’t prior to vanco.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi, I was a late relapser. I relapsed two times a month after discontinuing meds.
It was very psychologically hard, because each time I felt fine and thought I was in the clear.
You stated you had a positive PCR... did they test for toxins also?
I have seen a lot of posters on here be successful with the Vanco taper, even some really bad cases.

fiver
New User

Postby fiver » Thu May 17, 2018 8:45 am

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your question, but wanted to vent my own frustration. After a 2-week course of flagyl failed me, I started 2 weeks of vanco. Saw my GI doc the other day and mentioned that my stool was still very soft. Not the watery type I associate with the c diff though. In any case, he acted like that wasn't OK and proactively added another 4 weeks of vanco on the taper plan. I have assumed that my stool will remain soft on antibiotics, so his reaction confused me. I just can't imagine a fully formed bowel movement as long as my body is being bombarded with vanco. Perhaps others can chime in on what to expect - did your stools actually return to normal during antibiotic therapy? Or did that come after??

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:21 am

My stools actually never returned to how they were pre-c diff. I had c-diff in 2014, and it probably took a good 8 months to have just 1 or 2 BMs per day. I had a new normal after c-diff. Soft stools can linger for quite some time after c-diff. It shouldn't be indicative of an active infection in my opinion.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Thu May 17, 2018 1:10 pm

In my case, my symptoms would clear up completely a few days after starting on either vancomycin or dificid. With vanco, my symptoms would start coming back a few days after I stopped taking it.

According to what I have read, C-diff can cause damage to the colon (colitis,IBS). Until that damage heals, there will be unpleasant symptoms, but not as bad as with C-diff.

As with others, I suffered greatly with C-diff. Wasn't able to eat. Legs, ankles and feet swelled up badly. Was weak. Couldn't even lift my legs up without help. Constant D. Had to wear a diaper. I got lucky, apparently suffered little or no damage to my colon/intestines from the C-diff, I guess. I could eat anything that I wanted after taking the dificid and had no unpleasant symptoms. Felt very good.

So... after treatment for C-diff ends, the patient has to determine if there is a C-diff relapse, or if the ongoing symptoms should be treated for damage to the colon/intestines (colitis)?
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”