CDiff relapse?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Scout21
New User

CDiff relapse?

Postby Scout21 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi
I am new here. I am 40 and first got diagnosed with cdiff January 1st, finished one round of Vanco and have felt great since - until last Saturday
I noticed all day my stomach was really bloated but no other symptoms. By Saturday night I started getting diarrhea.
I was going at least 10x a day, no fever, no pain, just diarrhea and bloating
I finally went to the dr Tuesday evening, handed a sample in Wednesday morning.
I had a bit of chills Tuesday night but not since.
Wednesday and Thursday I actually felt much better and only had one soft bm
Now yesterday and today I am back
To going all day and diarrhea
Still no pain, mucus or fever
It feels very different than when I had cdiff but I have never had diarrhea this long or often except when I had cdiff
I am going to call Monday to see about my results
Anyone else have anything similar? Thanks

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: CDiff relapse?

Postby Ril » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Hello Scout21 and welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting.
It would be unusual to have a recurrence this far out from your cure without another exposure but it is not impossible, but also, your symptoms are not typical c diff as it is also unusual for the d to stop for a few days. Usually you get no break when it starts again.
Since you have already retested unless you become more physically ill, which it does not sound is the case, I would eat bland foods, be careful to stay hydrated and make sure you have enough electrolytes ie drink vitamin water, sports drinks, eat bananas, etc. Bananas are good for d as well as for potassium.

Hopefully you have just picked up a stomach bug. If it continues and your c diff test is negative, I am sure your dr will follow up.

If you get worse before Monday, call your dr.
Good luck and let us know how you are.

Rita

Scout21
New User

Postby Scout21 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:38 pm

Thank you - I will definitely keep you posted
My diarrhea has settled so far this afternoon/evening but have lower back pain now
I guess we will wait to see what the next 2 days

Karen

Scout21
New User

Postby Scout21 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:50 pm

Just got my results
Positive :(

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:20 am

Sorry to hear you are positive. You might ask your doctor about taking Dificid rather than vanco. I used to relapse far out sometimes too. Hopefully, since this time your symptoms are not as severe, you will get over it more quickly.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”