Silent Gerd Post-Treatment

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Pmort
New User

Silent Gerd Post-Treatment

Postby Pmort » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:47 pm

I'm a 26-year-old male with relatively good health issues. It's been around a month since I beat C Diff. and finished antibiotics.

I took vancomycin, during and now post treatment I guess it created acid reflux in my system.

I don't have heartburn, but I have to constantly clear my throat with phlegm.
It feels like there's always something in my throat.

my question is this: is it okay for me to take Zantac? I see online that Zantac and Prilosec can create c diff recurrence which is the LAST thing I want.

I've changed my diet and its not helping so I might resort to the Zantac!

thanks in advance

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Silent Gerd Post-Treatment

Postby AllisS » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:20 pm

I don't know if acid reflux is a potential side effect of vanco, but if it is it should resolve on stopping the drug or soon after. Prilosec and other PPIs do not actually cause C. diff recurrence; long-term use of PPIs has been linked to C. diff, but association and causation aren't the same. Still, it's not a good idea to stay on PPIs long-term, for a whole host of reasons. I was on them for classic reflux (heartburn) for 15 years and had numerous side effects. It's possible that long-term use makes people more susceptible to C. diff. (Again, susceptibility and causation aren't the same thing.) Zantac is currently thought to be safer than the PPIs, but it may well turn out to increase susceptibility to C. diff as well if used long-term, as both types of drugs reduce stomach acid, though PPIs do so to a much greater extent. It seems a little counter-intuitive, but eliminating all stomach acid isn't desirable and may be the mechanism for triggering the vulnerability to C. diff.

I've been told I may have so-called silent reflux; I have hoarseness and need to clear my throat a lot. I've refused to take PPIs for these symptoms though a few doctors have suggested it. I've taken a Zantac on occasion for the symptoms; it's not clear to me that it helps, however.

An often helpful non-drug measure for both heartburn and silent reflux is to chew gum; evidently the production of saliva helps to reduce stomach acid. Avoid sugarless gum with any ingredient that ends with -itol, e.g., sorbitol or mannitol, as they can cause diarrhea.

The silent-reflux diagnosis has become extremely popular with physicians lately. A possible reason for this is it creates a massive new market for PPIs, which are advertised heavily. (The efficacy of PPIs for silent reflux is said to be questionable in studies.) Before you draw the conclusion that silent reflux is what is causing your symptoms, you may want to see an ENT doctor to rule out a sinus problem and/or be tested for allergies.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:17 am

See CDI - Acid Reflux. There are things you can do to help, I.e. raising the head of the bed, not going to bed within 3 hours of eating, minimizing acid foods, etc.

Sometimes it is related to your sinuses. See CDI - Infections.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:05 pm

Each person has to weigh the risk vs benefits of PPIs vs other meds such as Zantac vs no meds at all after beings properly diagnosed and treated for both kinds of reflux...GERD and LPR (so called silent reflux). These are legitimate diagnoses with potentially serious complications so seek medical advice that you trust then do your homework before you make any decision about how to proceed.
I have both, am a medical professional and have done just that understanding why I have made my treatment choice.

Pmort
New User

Postby Pmort » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:26 pm

Thank you so much, everyone, for the replies. I just saw my GI doctor who suggested we do an Endoscopy.

He said it could be the GERD, Candida, or stress.

I guess I will have to wait and see.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:16 pm

The endoscopy is a good idea, I also had one post CDIFF. I had vomiting with CDIFF , developed a hernia and GERD post CDIFF. My exam was negative for everything and I thought it was worth having done just to know where I was at.

Good luck with it
NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”