Dental anti-bacterial

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
evam
Brand New Poster

Dental anti-bacterial

Postby evam » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Hello, I was diagnosed with c.diff. on about 15th Dec 2017, I was given it when I got an endoscopy at the end of September. The endoscopy was due to stomach problem which I was given Famotidine for, I was also on low dose Doxycycline for ocular rosacea and had been for many years. During that time several bouts of serious antibiotics and no problems.
Neither my PCP or Gastroenterologist in any way alerted me to the possibility of being at risk for c. diff. due to these factors. My symptoms were mild, mostly. I now feel I have an axe over my head waiting for the time I have to have an antibiotic and the spores 'come out. I believe my case was 'mild' due to the fact the doxy was low dose so dread what a full dose for an infection would do.
To top it all I have to have dental treatment. Obviously I hope not to get an infection but the dentist thinks at least one filling and wants to use Tubulicid (Cocoamphodiacetate, Benzalkonium Chloride, Sodium Fluoride), to paint it on after drilling and before placing the filling. Does anyone know if this will encourage the c. diff? He assured me it would not be absorbed but at this point I am beyond sceptical of the medical profession, not my first time down the road of medical mismanagement.
Hope this post is OK I have practically zero experience of posting online.

Thanks, evam

roy
Administrator

Re: Dental anti-bacterial

Postby roy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:41 pm

That would not cause c.diff but I can't see why a dentist would use anything like that for a simple filling!
I assume they charge extra!

Dental antibiotics are rarely needed and VERY overprescribed so if they suggest an oral antibiotic "just in case" be cautious and check why.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Welcome to the site. Take a look at the guidelines for new posters on our intro page (first entry) when you have a chance.

Since a filling is a noninvasive dental procedure there is no rationale that I'm aware of for using an antibiotic. (I don't recognize the names of the substances your dentist wishes to use.)

I, and I'd venture to say many (even most) on this site, share your wariness of the medical profession especially when it comes to C. difficile. Dentists have been among the worst offenders in prescribing high-risk, wide-spectrum antibiotics unnecessarily. One area of intense controversy has been the practice of recommending "lifetime use" of wide-spectrum antibiotics after hip- and knee-replacement surgeries, even for routine dental cleanings. I postponed hip replacement for years because of my wish to avoid that situation. (Dentists actually used to refuse to treat patients who would not comply if their orthopedic surgeon had advise "premedication.") Fortunately, the American Dental Association has recently revised its protocol, leading many dentists to be less rigid and to leave it up to the patient. Unfortunately, orthopedic surgeons are still lagging behind, with many continuing to insist that the "lifetime" antibiotic protocol is "necessary" and to use scare stories to try and cow patients into following the outdated regimen.)
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:35 am

I don't recognize the ingredients either, except sodium fluoride, which is in toothpaste to strengthen the teeth. Are the other ingredients something to de-sensitive the tooth? I know when I got a crown, something was put in there as well so it would not be so sensitive. As Roy said, if they want to give you an antibiotic for "just in case", I wouldn't jump at that. My husband had a tooth pulled and even had an infection cleaned out and he was not prescribed antibiotics. There is a mouthwash called Peridex that most dentists use. For a filling, usually you don't need anything.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”