Tested negative but still experiencing problems

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jerrid
Brand New Poster

Tested negative but still experiencing problems

Postby Jerrid » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:56 am

Hello all,
My father age 64 tested positive for C diff about a month after going through chemo, but still while taking antibiotics for some side effects. He took the antibiotics they recommended for Cdiff and when he got retested it tested negative. Seem to be good for about a week after that and now every 3 to 4 days he's been having excessive diarrhea for at least 2 days. They've been letting him use Imodium, but now he's exhausted and can barely get out of bed. Also, due to all the bathroom visits he's had major problems with hemmroids. Shows the cancer is gone, but wondering if anyone has any advice if this is normal? He will be going back in later in the week to see the doctor. Thank you ahead of time.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Tested negative but still experiencing problems

Postby Ril » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Hello Jerrid and welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on Rules for Posting. I also have noticed that you repeated this exact post in 2 places. Please notice in “Rules” that we ask that you only post the same thread in one area so we can answer you and continue to address your issues without duplication.

I am sorry your father is going through so much both with cancer and c diff. I am curious about who treated him and your reporting of him being retested. It is not protocol to be tested to prove cure and if he was tested too soon after taking treating antibiotics, he likely would have had a false negative. You don’t mention timeframes.

Additionally, as a rule, if he did have c diff, he would (generally) not have several days in between with no d and would go more than 2x per days. We use the 3 day rule as a guide- 3 episodes of watery d for 3 days in a row is generally a recurrence. He may be experiencing post infectious IBS and be in recovery, which can be very rough for some. He should be eating a bland diet, small meals, avoiding dairy and fried food for now. Consider adding a probiotic especially Florastor. Of course check this all out with his dr but these are the things that have worked for most of us.

The dr can give him a prescription for his hemorrhoids and several things are sold over the counter, as well as soaking in the tub or a Sitz bath for soaking. Being tired is part of c diff...it is draining and your dad has had another serious illness as well.

I hope his follow up appt for c diff is with a GI or ID dr. That is who I would see.
Best of luck,
Rita

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”